Buffing wheels setup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

I'm getting less than consistent results with my 3 wheel buffing setup. First thing is do you apply compound every time you buff a different pen? Also when I put my Buffing wheel mandrel on my lathe it doesn't align perfectly with the tailstock, now I can move the mandrel a little and it seats ok in the tailstock live centre, what I notice though is that the wheel closest to the headstock (Tripoli) runs truer than the wheel at the other end (Carnauba). I feel like I'm getting more coverage with the Tripoli wheel because it runs more concentric. This could just be my perception. Other thing is I apply pretty light pressure and usually only use longitudinal (axial) sanding with the buffs, often I will skip the Tripoli if I use the full Micromesh series of pads.

plantman

Mitch; Bite the bullet and buy a seperate 2 wheel grinder and put your buffing wheels on it. If you are sanding to 1200 or 12000, forget the Tripoli and use the white diamond and Carnauba only. The time it will save you in switching back and forth will be worth the cost of the grinder, plus it will come with two grinding wheels that you may also use. In my workshop I have a three grinder setup. Most used is the one with a fine wire wheel on one side and a brass wire wheel on the other. These will polish metals, remove rust, and clean tubes for glueing. Second most used is set up with a fine and medium grinding stone. These are used to remove metals, sharpen tools, and mower blades. Third is fitted with several cloth buffing wheels, and used for buffing and polishing. It is a lot easier to take a step, turn on a switch, and do the task you need without having to change wheels. You don't need top of the line grinders to do this type of work !! Look at HF and use their 25% off coupon, or search rummage or yard sales for working units. Jim S

Last edited:

Tiger

Like your setup Jim as I do a bit of metalwork and need to polish the odd bit of metal. Problem I have is that I don't have much space unless I set up in the kitchen perhaps.

plantman

Like your setup Jim as I do a bit of metalwork and need to polish the odd bit of metal. Problem I have is that I don't have much space unless I set up in the kitchen perhaps.

If you are tight for space, you want to try this. I mount a lot of my smaller or less used tools to a 3/4 inch piece of plywood and clamp them to my work bench when I need to use them. I also have a Work Mate that I can clamp the plywood to when I need them. This folds up when not in use and can be used for many other tasks. You could mount one, two, or even all three grinders on one or more pieces of plywood with a hole cut out to hang them up when not in use. Jim S

Top Bottom