Buffing wheel speed for 3-wheel buff...??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Question for those who use the 3-wheel buff from CSA and PSI (they both use 8" wheels).

What speed do you set the lathe to when buffing PR/acrylics and wood with CA finish?

I have been using 6" wheels on single mandrels and used them at 1200 RPM. The wheels on the new 3-buff system are a good bit softer than the 6" wheels I was using so I expect something quicker.

The instructions say "3000" RPM, but that's for buffing wood pre-treated with danish oil (ie, not a hard plastic that might melt if heated too quick).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I don't know whats "best", but I use about 1200 RPM on my lathe for buffing, and it seems to work fine. I'll be curious to see what others use too.

Dan

Fred

I use between 550 - 875 RPM's as the wheels do get harder due to the centrifugal forces as the speed increases. You can actually burn the finish off if the heat build-up gets to high. Then you get to re-sand everything and start all over.

And that is not to mention the dangers of a high speed 'grab and fling' past your head or someone else's that may be watching you. :eek:

dwpenworks

I use mine right around 600 usually. Any higher than that and I would be standing back from the lathe. You folks that are doing 1200 and above ought to go on the show called fear factor, I think you would win.

Top Bottom