Buffing out blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Hello all,
I read in another post a while back about not buffing pens while on the mandrel because the bushings will turn the wheels black. The question was asked what would happen if that happened, but never answered.
What happens if that happens? I've just started turning and while my buffing wheels aren't black yet, if that is going to ruin them, I'll just stop and try something else.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
At the risk of starting a real "bru-ha-ha", I put more tripoli over the black, which is on the edges of the wheel, since I keep the mandrel at an angle. The white diamond, I don't put enough pressure on this wheel to make it turn black.

JUST MY EXPERIENCE. Those who think I am stoooppid - please step to the end of the line to espress your opinion.[;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

gerryr

I almost always have the blanks on the mandrel for buffing. I only buff with White Diamond, and I try not to buff the bushings. So far my buffing wheel is a bit dark on one side but it doesn't seem to have any adverse affect on the finish. I don't like not using the mandrel for buffing because I've had the buffing wheel knock barrels out of my hand more than once.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I put a little (really, not a lot) of pressure on the tripoli wheel, so it gets black. But, even with the pen ON the mandrel, they have been knocked out of my hand.

(Of course, I HAVE developed an ability to get the whole mandrel to spin while the buffing is going on, which requires a little less "grip" than you may use. But, it makes for a GREAT shine - when it works - )

M

Mudder

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />At the risk of starting a real "bru-ha-ha", I put more tripoli over the black, which is on the edges of the wheel, since I keep the mandrel at an angle. The white diamond, I don't put enough pressure on this wheel to make it turn black.

JUST MY EXPERIENCE. Those who think I am stoooppid - please step to the end of the line to espress your opinion.[;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

Must be an awfully long line. Eh Mr. Brown?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />At the risk of starting a real "bru-ha-ha", I put more tripoli over the black, which is on the edges of the wheel, since I keep the mandrel at an angle. The white diamond, I don't put enough pressure on this wheel to make it turn black.

Yes, it IS fairly long, but I see YOU are still at the END!!!!

We are not rushing, at the beginning!!![}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]
Must be an awfully long line. Eh Mr. Brown?

rherrell

I made copies of all my bushings out of Delrin to use while applying ca but have since stopped using that technique. Now I just use them for buffing and they work great! Just a thought.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Last night I tried buffing, using the black part of the wheel, intentionally.

The black transferred to my pen, somewhat. I then moved over the center where there is no black and the transferred black came off. Went to ****e diamond and came out with beautiful pen - did this on all 4 I made last night - they are all fine, now.

So, no long-term harm in black on edges - IMO!!

Fred

IF the black ever does transfer to the blank then I would believe that you just ruined the wood as this black will not come out of the grain.

The best thing to do is not get the bushings in the buffing wheel as best as is humanly possible. You work long and hard to get the blanks turned to proper dimensions, then why not continue to work just as hard to protect them when buffing? I find that the blanks will fit on a long, clean dowel or a metal round punch and often use one or the other to hold the blanks during the polishing on my Beall buffer wheels. No Problems! [:)]

Rmartin

Darn, I don't even have a dog in this fight.

I spray most of my pens with five coats of lacquer, put them back on the lathe for high end Micromeshing. I don't feel the need to add a waxy coating.

and I soooooo wanted to call someone stupid today, oh well

Rmartin

Fred

Gerry, Dark wax applied to a light color of wood will turn the blank darker. It always 'dirties' up my lighter woods like Oak, Magnolia, etc. Metal from the bushings will turn the wax darker than wanted and does the same transfer thing to the wood. Haven't you ever sanded a bit too aggressively and 'moved' metal from your bushings onto the ends of your blanks? No, then so far Lucky you! [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom