Buffing off gold plate.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyGreasy

When I have a blowout drilling a blank. Sometimes I use aluminum to fill the short blank. It turns good but most of my kits are gold. To make the kit match the silver alum. I buff the gold plate off till its a nice silver. I have not been doing this long. Over time has anyone noticed rust or discoloration due to removing the origional plating. Mabey I will try brass to match the gold kit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I am wondering why the tubes inside the pen, whether they be brass or aluminum, are exposed and that you have any need to make them match the fittings. Most of us keep the tubes hidden inside of the wood.

Mikey

I'm confused as to what is meant by "Sometimes I use aluminum to fill the short blank."

Personally, I have never buffed off any gold or used brass for any pens. if I have a blowout, I just turn the wood off and start ofer with a new blank.

nilsatcraft

One of our technicians buffed all of the plating off of a pen a year or so ago to get the silvery look and uses it pretty regularly. It still looks great and no signs of rusting or wear. I think the fact that you're buffing the material underneath helps to seal it or protect it.

EasyGreasy

Oops sorry for the confusion. I ment that instead of getting a new length of wood after a blowout I am using a small piece of aluminum to give the pen a silver tip. Before the gold tip. Silver and gold look ok together but silver and silver look better. So buffing the gold plating off seems to be the way to go because it makes it a nice silver expecially with a touch of semi-chrome polish to shine it up.
Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom