buffalo horn problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdaj

I tired my first buffalo horn and something is wrong. I turned to pen and had a grey shaded area on the pen in addition to being more brown. Not the deep black I was expecting. I was seeing primarily ribbons (1 inch long) without any chatter when turning.

I tried sanding it down but did not have any luck. I then took it all the way up the micro mesh to really see the blemishes for this post.

Any thoughts? I am new to pen making and this this my first attempt at a non wood pen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171202-151526.jpg
    Screenshot_20171202-151526.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Those kinds of colors are common in horn.

Routine run blanks will commonly have streaks with different shades and tones.

Water buffalo also has a habit of cracking so give it time to cure and balance stresses before assembly.

magpens

You are tackling one of the most challenging materials for pen turning, in my opinion.

I know that my statement is not offering you any help.

Last edited:

KenV

I have had water buffalo work without cracking, but it needs to set between each phase. It takes time to lose moisture and relieve stresses. Letting it set for a month or more between operations makes a difference.

Want a fast pen, turn acrylics.

Woodchipper

I read the title and thought you should take the horn off the buffalo first. lol
Interesting thread and food for thought for anyone wanting to use this material for a pen.

Top Bottom