Buffalo horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

I saw some buffalo horn that I can buy. I'm curious how it compares to deer antlers for turning hardness and I'm curious if someone has made one so that I can see what it looks like in a pen. Please post a pic if you can.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I have a knife manufacturer near me. I recently purchased some buffalo horn from them that they use for handles and scales.

I told the owner that I intended to turn pens from the horn.

He said they soak the buffalo horn in cold water for over 12 hours before shaping it, to avoid cracking. He also suggested being well ventalated when turning. The smell and dust is much stronger than antler.

I have not cut and turned any yet. I hope to over the holiday weekend.

Daniel

It will actually melt if it gets to hot, alot like acrylic.
it will crack even long after it is turned, ad i have even had it develop waves after about a year. never tride the cold water trick. and stink, yeah you will want to change your clothes after turning it. lol
saying all that i have a Buffalo horn pen i have carried for over a year. a few small cracks have developed but no other problems. I love the pen and the cracks don't bother me.
by the way it comes with cracks and defects of it's own. seems the buffalo are not to gentle with them while they have them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
MANY of my buffalo horn pens cracked.

So, I made a cigar pen to carry and see what happened. It is fine, nearly a year later. I believe the thicker material on a cigar, along with temp and humidity control of carrying it in my pocket, close to my body, have kept it from cracking.

This is a theory, not a fact. Hope you succeed, they ARE nice pens.[:)][:)]

Ligget

Jeff here is one of my Buffalo horn Barons, black with light grey streaks.

20071121174558_closed.jpg
<br />

Beware of the smell when turning![xx(]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by workinforwood
<br />Can I see you pen Ed?

Not today, in other shirt pocket.

Will take pic this weekend and post on Monday. (If I remember, 2 day show this weekend, too).[:D][8]

workinforwood

Oh yea, that is sweet! It was not sounding like it was worth the hassle, but sure looks like it's worth the problems. Thanks Mark. And Ed..sure I'd still love to see yours too. Gives some comparison in look and likely a different kit too I'm sure. Look at the shine on that thing! I like deer antler, but it sure doesn't shine like that!

mick

Jeff There's not much I can add that hasn't already been said. Just drill slowly trying to not generate too much heat.
Here's a picture of a Jr Statesman I did in Buffalo horn

20071121204030_Buffalo%20Horn.jpg
<br />

broitblat

I've only turned one buffalo horn, so far, and I've been lucky that it hasn't cracked (it's been about 9 months, I think).

I like the looks and feel and expect to do more.

-Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom