Buffalo Horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

AirportFF

Anyone know of a cheap source for Buffalo horn. I found some on ebay a year or so ago at a good price and craft supplies is a little pricey for one blank.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Check with Woodturningz; they had some from PSI that wasn't TOO expensive. MAN does that stuff stink when you turn it!

Ryan

I second the stink, but I also had a hard time getting the laq. to stick to it. Any little bump and it would flake off. Next time I will just MM and coat it with TSW and Ren Wax.

Ryan

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Ryan
<br />I second the stink, but I also had a hard time getting the laq. to stick to it. Any little bump and it would flake off. Next time I will just MM and coat it with TSW and Ren Wax.

Ryan
About the only way to get lacquer to stick to horn is to first give it a coat of shellac (not the friction polish, that has wax in it), good old dewaxed shellac... 2-3 light coats then sand it to about 6000 MM and apply the lacquer... you are going to know if it going to be successful if the shellac does not flake off...
Also be extremely careful about heat from sanding or turning... horn will develop linear cracks from heat.. and not necessarily right away... so be careful.. very light cuts and light touch sanding.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Buffalo horn may also crack six months after the pen is made!

Suggest using stabilized buffalo horn from CSUSA.

Why would you want a finish on horn? (This is a serious question, not a way to find an argument. I am not a hunter, have limited exposure to horn, but I always figured if it was oblivious to weather while on the buffalo, what will it encounter now that will be a problem?)

PenPauli

I made a very nice buffalo horn jr statesman for myself and just noticed that it has developed a crack. I'm so disapointed I really liked it and it was stabilized. I think I glued the pen together, I usually do that on my more expensive pens.. Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Paul

PenWorks

Paul, cracks are a bummer, but in horn or bone, I think they add chariter to the piece. I have several horn pens I made myself that have developted a slight crack, no big deal. But if you want to repair it, you should be able to sand it, apply CA, resand and buff. All this is done by hand, so you can just tape up your pen parts if you cannot remove them to protect them from the CA & buffing.

AirportFF

Ahhhhh...the smell doesn't bother me all that much. The wife is another story considering the pen shop is next to the family room. So everytime I open the door that odor comes in.

As far as a finish goes. I handle it like Corian. Just wet sand it up to 12000. And then polish it up.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by AirportFF
<br />Ahhhhh...the smell doesn't bother me all that much. The wife is another story considering the pen shop is next to the family room. So everytime I open the door that odor comes in.

As far as a finish goes. I handle it like Corian. Just wet sand it up to 12000. And then polish it up.

Clint, you said, "Ahhhhh...the smell doesn't bother me all that much. The wife is another story...". [:0] Ah, you may want to revise and edit that statement before your wife reads it. [:p]

AirportFF

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by AirportFF
<br />Ahhhhh...the smell doesn't bother me all that much. The wife is another story considering the pen shop is next to the family room. So everytime I open the door that odor comes in.

Clint, you said, "Ahhhhh...the smell doesn't bother me all that much. The wife is another story...". [:0] Ah, you may want to revise and edit that statement before your wife reads it. [:p]

Even if she should happen to read it she would laugh anyhow.[:D] Her sense of humor is in the gutter like mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom