Buckeye Burl Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cory45

Anyone know where to get some good quality Buckeye Burl blanks? Last few i have gotten from the bigger pen turning sites have been mediocre at best and all the ones at local woodcraft are dyed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

I know its frowned upon in some circles but when you look on Ebay you can on most auctions see the exact blanks you will be getting. I find that better than making a blind order then hoping for the best. Blind orders usually present me with only about half of the blanks worth using and the other half are segment wood.

Concur with the rockb recommendation. I got some buckeye burl blanks from him and they are very cool. I took the least figured of the four that I bought from him and turned it for a chrome slimline. The reason I used the least figured is because it was my first time turning this type of wood. I didn't have a contest in mind, but after turning it, I entered it into this contest and got second place. A big reason is because the wood was so pretty. He posts a bunch of wood about every week or so in the classified section.

137461d1440772043-results-contest-turning-challenged-8.1-800x600-.jpg

137462d1440772043-results-contest-turning-challenged-8.2-800x600-.jpg

137463d1440772043-results-contest-turning-challenged-8.3-800x600-.jpg

Cwalker935

Maybe not burls, but there were a bunch of gnarly buckeyes on the field in Blacksburg last night. Need a very sharp skew to turn that bunch.

Cory45

Thanks for all the info guys, I agree on the Buckeyes although they had me nervous in the first half but braxton was a game changer

Top Bottom