Buckey Burl?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allenworsham

I got my order from Arizona Silhouette and they always toss some freebies in the mix. This time I ended up with 4 Buckey Burl blanks as freebies.I have never turned any of these so I am curious as to what to expect. It looks like they have been covered with CA or something similar.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

Buckeye burl is some really nice stuff, you're going to be pleased with it. They make great medium/large size pens (please don't waste it on a slimline!) I don't know exactly what the stuff is they use to stabilize the blanks with, but it's not CA. What is does though is soak into the wood and strengthen it. Natural buckeye burl can be soft and prone to falling apart, so the stabilization helps keep it all together. Sometimes a dye is added to give it color. Check out the dyed Box Elder Burls that AS has -- they are way kewl. [8D] What to expect? Well, the motto around here is "sharp tools, and light cuts".

Dan_F

Here is one I got from AS...

P1010796.jpg

Some are all gray, some have a fair amount of lighter colored wood. When you order, you can request all or mostly gray, half and half, etc.

Dan

fiferb

Here's a stabilized buckeye burl I finished this past weekend. I find it has an open grain and needs to be filled with sanding dust. I sand to 400 grit, then with the 400 grit paper full of dust and the dust still on the blank I drip thin CA on the blank/sandpaper and sand it in while the lathe is turning slow.

311113210_Buckeye%20Burl%20Jr%20Statesman%20Closed.jpg

allenworsham

Thanks for the information. I figured that it wasn't CA, but my brain wasn't working too well to remember the term "stabilize". I have 2 that are more green in color and 2 that are more brown. 2 of them look to be a bit bent, so I don't know about getting 2 blanks out of them, but should be able to do a Sierra. So we will see.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom