Bubbles In Finished Blank ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgraytn

I have turned several acrylic blanks lately for the Sierra pen and once I get the blank turned to the desired size, they have bubbles in them which cannot be seen in the blank prior to turning.

In preparation for turning, I clean the brass tubes thoroughly with denatured alcohol, mix the epoxy and apply it to the inside of the blank and then to the outside of the brass tube. I then insert it into the acrylic blank using a twisting motion as I am inserting it. I typically then let them cure for 24 hours.

Am I missing something? Has anyone else had this problem? Solution?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

As I read your description, I visualize two different problems:
"Bubbles" would be cast into a blank,
"Glue yuk" (that's a technical term) shows through a blank.

"Bubbles" need to be filled and can be done a couple ways with varying degrees of success.
"Glue yuk" is most easily overcome by painting the inside of the hole, before you insert the painted tube and glue.

More info, please???

Tom,
Are the bubbles in the blank itself or in the area between the tube and blank...if it's in the tube area... you might try painting the inside of the blank that will mask any bubbles you might get in the epoxy. I don't use epoxy myself, but if your blanks are opaque, you'll see the tube.

tgraytn

After looking closely at the blank this evening, it appears that the bubbles are from the epoxy and not in the blank itself.

I have heard both good and bad scenarios regarding painting the inside of the hole in the blank and the tubes. What brand/type/spray or liquid of paint would you suggest that I use? Do you sand the tube lightly prior to painting it? How long do you allow the paint to dry before epoxying it into the blank?

Thanks!

1080Wayne

Brand/type important only insofar as it relates to opacity , which is important , to hide the tube . Start with a hole which will allow the tube to fall through it - paint has thickness . To check opacity , shine a flashlight on the blank . Would wait whatever the recommended drying time is before gluing . Don`t bother with painting the tube myself .

dankc908

I use Gorilla glue and haven't had a problem with any of my acrylics. I coat the inside of the blank with the glue (I use a regular drinking straw for this), get the tube (brass, white, chrome, etc) wet in a dish of water (used to activate the glue) and insert. Has worked great for me!

Dan

After looking closely at the blank this evening, it appears that the bubbles are from the epoxy and not in the blank itself.

I have heard both good and bad scenarios regarding painting the inside of the hole in the blank and the tubes. What brand/type/spray or liquid of paint would you suggest that I use? Do you sand the tube lightly prior to painting it? How long do you allow the paint to dry before epoxying it into the blank?

Thanks!

Tom,
I don't do a lot of acrylics where I paint the tubes, but when I do, I use the Testor's model paint and let it dry overnight before I attempt to glue in tubes...I use CA myself, and don't use the epoxy very often, but have on a few occasions... on one occasion I added a drop of paint to the epoxy and colored it instead of painting the tubes... that worked as well.... overall, I prefer to paint the inside of the blank and the tube as opposed to coloring the epoxy.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've used the Krylon Fusion (for plastics) and it works well.
What color you choose will have an effect on the final product, so
if you keep that in mind..
Black or white generally just make the blank lighter or darker, but
sometimes colors can give you some interesting effects that weren't
originally intended.

Top Bottom