Brown Box Elder Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleabit

I just received three blanks of Box Elder Burl. Much to my dismay, they all suffered from bends and twists. One of the blanks is bent so bad that it will be a miracle to get 1/2 a pen blank out of it. Is this normal for stabalized burl? I ordered it for a cigar pen. If this is normal, what are the tricks to keep from losing a blank on the drilling?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

I recently had that same problem with several BEB blanks that I received. I sent them all back.

Originally posted by Fleabit
<br />I just received three blanks of Box Elder Burl. Much to my dismay, they all suffered from bends and twists. One of the blanks is bent so bad that it will be a miracle to get 1/2 a pen blank out of it. Is this normal for stabalized burl? I ordered it for a cigar pen. If this is normal, what are the tricks to keep from losing a blank on the drilling?

Fleabit

I just got off the phone with CSUSA and they are sending replacements for these BEB's. No fuss or muss. Excellent customer service!! Now to figure out what to do with these bent and twisted ones?????

woodpens

I would just run them through the saw and see how much is useable after squaring them. Cut the ends square to the body so the drill bit doesn't wander. You might be surprised at how much you still can use. You may want to cut them in half first though. Be careful cutting any twisted wood. You don't want to get hit by any airborne pen blanks. [:)]

G

How bout posting a picture to see how bad they sre.
We might have some suggestons.
One thought comes to mind is to cut on the bends and add a contrasting piece.
Send them my way I'll figure out something.

Daniel

Warping Burl is fairly commom. I am not sure how much warp you are talking about. the main problem is that most of the blanks are cut when they are either still green wood or at least have more moisture than they will shortly as blanks. the wood is going to move as it looses moisture. and with burl it will move in several directions. once it dose and is then stabalized it will stop moving around. drilling them is a bit tricky. like drilling antler. you have to visualize the line through the blank that will still give you enough material to get the pen out of. then drill out that line. Just one more challenge in making those fancy fancy pens.

goldentouch

I have had a couple that was twisted but by cutting I was able to get a cigar pen from each without much problem. It is almost like trying to figure out where to cut with antler.

Fleabit

Of the three, one is salvageable (not replacing that one). Good idea Eagle. Where the sharp bend and twist is on the really bad one, I should be able to cut out the bad section and add a contrasting piece. Worth a try. But unfortuantly, these where ordered by a friend who wanted me to make him two pens for his wifes birthday.

G

There is another option if they are stabilized enough to turn without drilling.
Chuck them between centers without drilling for a mandrel.
Try turning a uniform cylinder.
Drill after you've turned the cylinder.
Once you start drill antler like Daniel ,entioned you learn to appreciate a squre blank.
Deer don't have square nor straight antlers

woodscavenger

Some of the warped ones I've seen are sooo bad that putting them between centers would almost be dangerous. But most of them seemed like you could cut them and still get the half blanks. The biggest problem is the inability to get grain continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom