Brooks Vintage Purple -- what color to reverse paint??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

I have only one of Brooks' vintage purple blanks with no spare to do a test run with. I am making a razor for a woman, and am looking for suggestions on reverse painting this blank. Searching the forums, I found a couple examples that were reverse painted black, and one a deep purple. Does anyone have an example showing it reverse painted white, or a lighter color, to help me decide which way to go??

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill Sampson

John,
I have reverse painted several of Jonathons' custom blanks. I agree with Hans, paint in a darker color. I reverse painted the purple in white and it gave a washed out look.The contrast in a dark color is much sharper.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

gingerwood

Not purple, but.

I haven't done purple yet, but here's how the vintage green turned out when I reverse painted one half of the blank white and the other half black, it might help you visualize the effect on other colors.

Attachments

• Vintage Green Both.jpg
    Vintage Green Both.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

juteck

gingerwood said:
I haven't done purple yet, but here's how the vintage green turned out when I reverse painted one half of the blank white and the other half black, it might help you visualize the effect on other colors.

That's a similar effect on the green that I had with the vintage pink. I liked the brightness with the pink reverse painted white, but really like the dark on the purples I've seen. Just wondering how bright the purple would be with the white paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Brooks803

John, personally I'd use a medium to dark purple. Using white can wash out the color to where it can look pastel (easter egg type color). The darker colors seem to bring out the natural purple in the blank. If you go with blank it'll probably look like the green one posted above. I think it's cool to have it blacked out with purple outline around the white swirls.

SDB777

I usually reverse paint with some old model paint, from the kids stash....couldn't see throwing it out, it was still in liquid form. How would you 'spray' the inside of the blank anyway?

Scott (paint the hand, the floor, the wall.....) B

Top Bottom