broken transmission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chris99210

I had a customer return a cigar pen today for repair -- the transmission rotates fine and still has the stops intact but it will not extend or retract. She's only had the pen for a couple of months and from its appearance she's taken good care of it. Are failures of the cigar pen twist transmissions common? Any idea what would have caused it? My wife has used several cigar pens for over a year as test samples and has never had a problem.

Thanks,
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

It's like anything else that's mass produced , "Things go bad" . Single action cigar transmissions are one of the most robust transmissions made . Out of hundreds and hundreds of them I can count on one hand how many bad ones I've had .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It's like anything else that's mass produced , "Things go bad" . Single action cigar transmissions are one of the most robust transmissions made . Out of hundreds and hundreds of them I can count on one hand how many bad ones I've had .

Careful Butch.

Our collective experience has been with ONE factory. NOW there are several factories. What you SEE, may NOT be what you have SEEN before.

Over time, they will all get quality control. Right now, don't place side wagers on anything, based on your prior experience.

When one guy offers a pen for $3, that you have been buying for $6 there MAY be no difference or there MAY be a big difference. I suggest you are going to be relying on the reputation of your chosen vendor.

chris99210

Yep, the spring is still installed Joe.

And Ed the thing is I don't remember and can't readily tell which Cigar kit it is -- CSUSA or Berea from Woodcraft. I have both in my shop. I know it isn't from any other lower cost supplier.

Butch, hopefully this is a single failure case -- I hate to have something fail and then get a bad rep. I just happily repaired it and put in a new refill to say "sorry," but while I know even with good quality control bad product can get out the door I have a hard time explaining to the customer why it occurred. Of course I'm assuming she didn't do something to break it...

Chris

C. Scott

Chris,

Sounds like a bad part. However, I have my own story;

I had a customer call me with a cigar pen that wasn't working right. It was one of my single bodied cigars. He didn't sound very bright over the phone (after explaining how to replace the refill). I told him to take the pen back to the jewelry store (where I have my consignments at) and that I would come and get the pen, fix it and call him when it would be ready for pickup.

When I got home from work that same day, my wife tells me that Carlos (the store owner) called and he fixed the pen and the customer was happy. Apparently, the customer took it apart and somehow messed up, but thankfully didn't break anything. Needless to say, there are people out there would can mess up or break ANYTHING.

Top Bottom