Broken Sierra?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

Has anyone else had this problem? I was assembling a Sierra yesterday and decided to bend the clip out slightly so it wouldn't scratch the snakeskin blank when pressed in; I didn't crank down or anything, I was simply trying to flex it out so it would be about 1/16" further out. As soon as I did this, the clip broke off at the ring! :eek: The kit is the Ti Gold/Blk Ti kit, I bought it through Rockler with other items a few months ago.

I'm wondering now just how robust these pens are - if a customer were to decide the clip is a little tight (I sometimes have difficulty getting these into a shirt pocket if I don't pull out on the clip) and the clip broke off, I'd feel like a right idiot...

daniel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I usally pull on the clip when I'm assembling the Sierra so it doesn't scratch the finish as I press it together. I've done it with the same kit you are using ( I buy them from Rockler sometimes) and have never had any problems.

Steve Busey

When I buy big batches of Pacificas (Sierra clone) from WoodPenPro, he always tosses some extra caps in the box, so perhaps that's a known high-failure point.

GouletPens

I've assembled hundreds of those kits (not from that source tho, don't know if that matters) and have never had that problem. I usually don't bend the clip tho, so I guess I'm not that helpful. Sounds like a defect though. If it happened during assembly, what's to say it wouldn't have happened the first time that customer put it in their pocket? Doesn't speak well to your name as a craftsman....I'd ask for a new one from Rockler and chew the crap out of them if they refuse.

JimB

I've assembled hundreds of those kits (not from that source tho, don't know if that matters) and have never had that problem. I usually don't bend the clip tho, so I guess I'm not that helpful. Sounds like a defect though. If it happened during assembly, what's to say it wouldn't have happened the first time that customer put it in their pocket? Doesn't speak well to your name as a craftsman....I'd ask for a new one from Rockler and chew the crap out of them if they refuse.

Lighten up Brian. There's no reason to even think they would not exchange it for a new one. Going in with this attitude will show and will not get anyone what they want. Go in, be nice and most likely you will get what you want. If you don't then nicley ask for the manager. It's that simple.

gomeral

Go in, be nice and most likely you will get what you want. If you don't then nicley ask for the manager. It's that simple.

Unfortunately, there's not one locally, so I'll have to do this over the phone and hope...

daniel

its_virgil

I've made a few snake skin sierra and a few other snakeskin pens and I have never noticed the clip scratching the finish as it is being assembled. I have one snake skin pen that has been through the washer several times and it still looks the same as when I first made it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I was assembling a Sierra yesterday and decided to bend the clip out slightly so it wouldn't scratch the snakeskin blank when pressed in; ... the clip broke off at the ring! :eek: The kit is the Ti Gold/Blk Ti kit, I bought it through Rockler with other items a few months ago.
daniel

gomeral

I've made a few snake skin sierra and a few other snakeskin pens and I have never noticed the clip scratching the finish as it is being assembled. I have one snake skin pen that has been through the washer several times and it still looks the same as when I first made it.

That's good to know. This was my first PR blank, so I was EXCEEDINGLY careful with all aspect of turning, polishing, finishing, etc. In part because I dang near destroyed the blank in a fraction of a second using a spindlemaster! :redface:

daniel

its_virgil

I use a skew on my PR snake skin blanks. I find gouges to be a bit aggressive for my tatste. I hope this won't be your last PR blank, especially the snake skin ones.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

That's good to know. This was my first PR blank, so I was EXCEEDINGLY careful with all aspect of turning, polishing, finishing, etc. In part because I dang near destroyed the blank in a fraction of a second using a spindlemaster! :redface:

daniel

Texatdurango

I didn't crank down or anything, I was simply trying to flex it out so it would be about 1/16" further out. As soon as I did this, the clip broke off at the ring! The kit is the Ti Gold/Blk Ti kit, I bought it through Rockler with other items a few months ago.

I'm wondering now just how robust these pens are - if a customer were to decide the clip is a little tight (I sometimes have difficulty getting these into a shirt pocket if I don't pull out on the clip) and the clip broke off, I'd feel like a right idiot...

daniel
Daniel, Since I don't know exactly how much pressure you exerted I can't answer your question directly and although I lack the experience of the more experienced turners above with hundreds of these under my belt, I can only say that I have never broken a clip on a Sierra.

I have disassembled several Sierras to rob the clips for other pen designs and have always considered the clips fairly robust. I would suggest remembering how much force was used when you broke yours and try not to duplicate it in the future. :wink:

Even if it was purely your fault, it probably wouldn't hurt to call Rockler, heck in this day and age they'll probably replace the kit for any reason, even without having to chew the crap out of them!

And a second thought pertaining to your comment... "if a customer were to decide the clip is a little tight"

I can't recall how many pen clips I have broken over the years from doing the very same thing so these things happen. I wouldn expect a customer to hollar too loud if they broke their pen while messing with the clip.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Daniel,

This doesn't help the present problem, but might be worth using in the future. I save the little plastic sleeves many of the clips are covered with in the kit packaging. Put one on the clip every time you press a kit together and you will never scratch the finish.

RichB

When I put clips on I fold up some shop towel and slip it under just as it enters the tube. This seems to work very well. As to getting a new one treat them nice and you would be surprised how far it goes. I ruined a center band as I took it apart. I told them what happened and they sent me a new one at no charge. This was PSI

Last edited:

gomeral

was hoping to hear of your outcome with rockler.

I'm horribly embarrased to admit that life has overtaken hobby for the most part, and I've yet to call them. I promise to post an update once I get off my duff and do something other than look at the broken piece I left on my lathe as a reminder.

On the plus side, my absolutely adorable, charming, intelligent, and otherwise-better-than-everyone-else's-kid 10-wk old son has been sleeping through the night for the vast majority of the last 5 weeks. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

daniel

P.S.
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid to
No problem with this whatsoever, which is kinda frightning...

Last edited:
Top Bottom