Broken J drill Bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I have always used my drill press for drill holes in the blanks Never had a problem until now! I bought a stylus which has a 5" 7mm tube. I put it on the lathe to drill b/c my throat of the drill press is 3.5"

First time I broke the blank . no problem.

Second time i broke the J drill bit.

I slowly drilled both.

Any suggestions?

Another question Is there a company that make a J drill bit with 5-6 flutes to it.

Any information will be helpful. I use the stylus as a give away then they purchase a 400 dollar from me. I ad value to the sale! and never get can i get a discount.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JTisher

I doubt they make a four flute J. Try a parabolic flute. As far as speed, I drill all my blanks at 1450 rpm, and I've never had a problem

Joe

designer

Check your local machine shop tool house. It sounds like you have a standard jobbers drill. They make the same size drills in longer lengths. You can get them with flutes up to 12 inches in length. A 6" flute length will do fine for you and allow a lot of resharpening as well.

There are also online stores to buy tooling at that might be less expensive but you will have shipping and a delay in getting it. A local store might have one or be able to get it the same or next day.

What kind of blanks are you trying to drill? If you are drilling a non wood blank you might try a coolant/lubricant. Maybe some water with a little dish soap. Just make sure it is rinsed well and dry before you glue the tube in.

Mike

Top Bottom