Broke TWO fountain pens in one day!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I managed to break a Churchill AND an El Grande--- the two I posted recently in the SOYP forum[V].

The El Grande was in my pant's pocket in a pen pouch (how about that for alliteration). I was sitting at the computer and leaned over to get something and I heard a "crack". [V]

Later on that evening, I was attending a preaching conference at Southeastern Baptist Seminary, where I am a student, and was taking notes rather furiously with the Churchill. SNAP. Broke in the same spot. Something can't be right! Yes, I was writing fast and harder than I shoulda been, but seems to me like these beefy pens should take a heck of a lot more than that.

Both of them broke on the plastic part of the nib assembly that pressed into the brass tube.

Has anyone else suffered this? If they break this easy, I don't know about selling them. These were the first of their kind I had made and were trial runs.

Meanwhile I will stick to my Gents and Emperors as my bigger FP's[B)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctwxlvr

There has been reported problems of the parts of the churchill and elgrande breaking at that point I have yet to have one break my self.

Draken

Yep, happened to a customer of mine, seems to crack when the cap is screwed on too tightly, then it gives while being used. Berea says it can also happen if the part is pushed in without using the block they mention in their directions. I no longer purchase these pen kits due to this. The piece that is breaking is thin delrin plastic.

Firefyter-emt

Yep, I have done this a few times. A good drop on a hardwood floor took my first one. The good thing is that mine have lasted longer repaired than non-broken. What I did was to CA glue that broken thread coupler part back in and let it dry over night. Be careful with the CA if you use too much and build up inside the threads you will mess them up. You "could" coat the nib holder with wax and thread it in if you see squeese out to clean them up , just pull it right back out and you should be ok. I apply the glue inside the coupler and hand push the broken piece back in.

Firefyter-emt

FYI.. I have always used a press block. The problem stems from the way the paper thin plastic threads have a relief on the back side where they press into the metal press in coupler. They have glue in the lower portion only and they break above the glue line. This can happen from a slight bend where it cracks it and the cap will snap it off. You can normally "feel" the coupler when it cracks because it will feel a hair loose when using the pen. This can be made worse if you do not use a press block, but I would be amazed if you could even put this pen togather without one!

Oh, and I did remove a few plastic threads to fully glue them in place before I put the pen togather. This worked on two and then I broke a coupler while taking it apart. [:(!]

Berea should SEROUISLY redesign this to be a one piece metal coupler, the cap is already plastic so it would be a great fix.

redfishsc

Based on the info I have just read, I refuse to walk on eggshells when making my pens. I spend way too much time getting them just right to have to dance around idiot design flaws like this.

I will not be making any of either unless they do something about it.

Firefyter-emt

True, but the one I dropped on a hardwood floor would of survived un-harmed if the coupler was metal like the design on the Jr. Statesman / Gent.

The plastic can also break from just being put on too tight, or even if you "pushed" the pen while in your shirt pocket. I want a pen that I know if it's in my pocket that it will survive. I hate to say it, but the Churchill/El-Grande might not. I have a few of these in my collection, and everyone has been repaired at this time. My pens are always carried in a shirt pocket, or is my desk-top storage case when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom