Broke my finger...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

...or if I didn't, it darn near feels like it. All in the name of lathe accuracy.

So, the story goes... I took possession of a robust American Beauty with all of the trimmings about a year and a half ago, give or take. It has worked wonderfully for bowls and such, but now that I've been turning a lot of pens, I wanted to dial it in for such use. Although I have a nice drill press (Delta 18-900L), I try to keep all of my work at one station (I may rethink that because of the constant retooling, but that's neither here nor there for this story). So I started drilling on the lathe.

I use tower jaws to hold the blank. I would see a tiny amount of wobble in the bit as it first touched the blank, and by the time it was about ready to pop through the other side of a 3" length, the wobble was so bad I thought the bit was sure to break any day now. I finally decided to see if my axis was aligned... 60deg dead center in head, 60deg live center in tail, bring together, aaaaand... hmmmm. Looks pretty good, for a wood lathe, but I want to know just how much it really is, so out come the calipers.

I estimated about a 25mil difference between points. Check quill... nope, same fully extended. Rotate live and dead centers... nope, same thing. Okay, it's the head that's out of wack. Verify with my CNC's laser alignment tool. Yep... 60 mil diff in location at 14" of movement. Miniscule for a bowl, but HUGE for drilling pen blanks, evidently. So out comes the file.

Of course, for those who have ever worked on a Robust, you'll know the headstock weight is massive (100+ pounds?). During my first attempt at removing it from the bed, I wasn't properly prepared for the shift in weight, so I slammed the head into the bed, with my finger acting as a buffer. So, writhing in pain, I managed to keep hold of the head until I could gently place it on the ground.

Lucky for me, the wife keeps those ready-made daiquiri packs in the freezer, so I used one of those to sooth my pain (I used it as a compress, but I'm seriously considering imbibing it, too).

After 4 filing sessions with the head's tenon, with me putting the head back on for test fits each time (yeah, now my back is killing me, too), I'm happy to say I can now drill a blank from end to end with no noticeable bit wobble... and the hole is square to the blank at both ends :) I can finally do celtic knots and other similar blanks without worrying about the knot looking like a 2 year old tied it :wink:

Maybe it'll cut down on some of the chatter I've seen from time to time far from the head.

Excuse me while I go get drunk to dull the pain...

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Coysquibbly

There is always an upside to every story. In this case I believe you have the violin music, the daiquiri pack, an ice numbed finger....mmm all you need now is a couple shots of rum and I bet we can pretend that this never happened:biggrin:

How your finger heals quickly .

Kevin

Dan Hintz

FEEL the love ;-)

My finger is still swollen, black and blue around each joint... looks like this one will be with me a little while.

People say "This is a woodworking machine, measuring with calipers is like measuring a cross-country trip in seconds." That may be true for a lot of things, but I just proved to myself that a mere 25 thousandths of an inch means a world of difference.

So after all of this tweaking, what do I put in the chuck to test it out? A piece of Cherry that has twisted 45 degrees over an 8" length, a crook that takes it nearly 1" out of line, and has a profile more like a rhombus than a square. Of course, I also had to be working on a pen that required a 3-stepped bit. When it rains, it pours... it all came out nicely, though.

Longfellow

Hope it doesn't prevent you from turning the beautiful Orange blanks I just shipped you. If so, they will wait till you are able. I always relied on my friend Jack to ease the pain

Russknan

Yeah, I've heard those Robust lathes are crap. I'll give you $50 for it. ;-)
Hope your finger is better soon. I could actually FEEL the agony in your description! Russ

Dan Hintz

Russ... make it an even $100 and you have a deal. That will buy a couple of extra rounds for the night. Of course, I'll let you carry it to the truck.

Starting turning a cap for a Euro rollerball, blew out the side at the finial end... this particular kit only leaves 20 mils of wood on the tube, so I must have missed glue right at that spot. But on the plus side, I can flex my finger a little bit... still swollen and black / blue, but starting to flex. I figured after the blowout it was time to stop for the night.

Joe Burns

Ouch. I feel your pain. I broke my thumb one time warming up for a hapkido practice. Might put a splint on the finger to stabilize it.

Joe

Coysquibbly

There is always an upside to every story. In this case I believe you have the violin music, the daiquiri pack, an ice numbed finger....mmm all you need now is a couple shots of rum and I bet we can pretend that this never happened:biggrin:

How your finger heals quickly .

Kevin

That should have read... Hope your finger heals quickly.:)

Dan Hintz

On a better note, the lathe is much quieter now. Before, it had a "scrch scrch srch" noise that changed speed with the lathe. I tried swapping between pulleys, thinking the belt just wasn't in the middle and rubbing the side with every turn, but nothing could get rid of that noise (been dealing with it since the beginning). Now that I've straightened out the headstock, the noise is gone.

Of course, it makes absolutely ZERO sense why twisting the headstock would affect it since the motor and pulleys are all part of the same unit... twisting the entire unit should have no effect, but something changed.

Dan I have to tell you that your story about this actually made my finger hurt for you. I hope you heal quickly but I also have to agree, no pic no story. ;>)

Dan Hintz

I can now click the mouse and type with it if I'm gentle. Still a bit swollen, but not overly so. I'll post a pic of the pen that started this mess once I fix the blowout.

Top Bottom