Broke college kid looking for cheap kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeCallahan

Hey everyone,

So I'm an 18 year old college freshman, and as such have a double digit bank acount at the moment. I've been turning for a few months now, and have enevitably run out of pen kits. I'm hoping some of you can help me out.
I'm looking for chesap sources of pen kits to keep my new obsession going. I'm willing to buy individually, but preferably in bulk, depending on how long till my next paycheck. I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks a ton,
Joe Callahan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Beware of the "cheap" pen kits ... you will be disappointed.

Try making kitless pens .... but then you will have some additional tooling costs.

Last edited:

Talltim

Hey Joe

Welcome to pen turning. Also welcome to the money pit. There are lots of ways to spend money.

In the end you are looking for what all of us are looking for, quality kits at reasonable prices.

Sign up for the different vendors mailers. When they have sales on what you like stock up. Look into the group buys as well.

JimB

Generaly the online places such as Exotic Blanks, Craft Supplies USA, Penn State Industries as well as some others have better prices then the places that have physical stores such as Woodcraft and Rockler although there are exceptions and sales. You just need to do some research to see who has what you are looking for at a price that fits your budget.

corgicoupe

Generaly the online places such as Exotic Blanks, Craft Supplies USA, Penn State Industries as well as some others have better prices then the places that have physical stores such as Woodcraft and Rockler although there are exceptions and sales. You just need to do some research to see who has what you are looking for at a price that fits your budget.

I would also suggest that you look at LazerLinez web site. Constant has reduced the price of some of his kits, and they are quality made of stainless steel in his machine shop her in Georgia.

corgicoupe

Oops! Looks like he has sold out of all his kits. He told me a few months ago that he was going to restock, but apparently has not done so.

Woodchipper

Welcome to the forum from a broke retiree! Better to spend the money on a few quality kits than a sackful of cheap kits. You realize that you have committed to posting photos of your pens.

Dehn0045

Group purchases can be a good way to get a discount. Also, every once in a while you can catch a good clearance sale from Woodcraft, Berea Hardwoods, or ExoticBlanks (among others), sign up for their email newsletters. Also, I switched to TBC so I don't have to buy bushings, this way I am free to jump on deals when they come up. Last bit of advice is to focus on quality over quantity, you'll spend more time on each pen but you'll need to buy fewer kits and blanks...

Top Bottom