Broadwell Nouveau

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nate peel

I just got my first nouveau kit from psi. The website says you need a 3/4"
blank but the box it is in says 7/8". I have a trustone blank picked out for this kit that is 3/4". The largest bushing seems to fit just inside the blank leaving very little room for error as far as drift on the drill bit. My question is should I go ahead with it or just find a different blank for this kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

I have made several of those and have used 7/8 blanks. I would be afraid to drill that large of a hole in a 3/4 blank.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Turn the blank round between centers and see how much room you have left. If you can drill on the lathe starting with a centering bit, you should be able to drill on center with no drift.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry Nate,

There is no way anyone can answer your question.

It will depend on the tools you have and your level of expertise with them. In short, as someone's signature line says, "Whether you think you can succeed or not, you are probably correct!"

Personally, I would NOT do it with tru-stone, others WOULD and successfully.

nate peel

Well I figured nothing ventured nothing gained. I checked the bushing aginst the end of the blank and it would fit with a whopping 1/16 to spare. SO I set up to drill it on the lathe.

It was working fine and I got the cap drilled when a case of the stupids hit me. I put the lower barrell in the chuck and LOML asked me a question. I completely forgot to switch out the drill bit. So there I sat with a lower barrell halfway drilled with too big a hole.

Fortunately I had taken advantage of the sale on the majestics at PSI as well. The happy ending is now I will have a majestic in trustone instead of a Sceptre.

Also the guys who say to drill on the lathe are right on as usual. Right down the center with no drift at all.

Thanks for the replies.

Top Bottom