Broadwell Kits from PSI??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rbruce2u

Is anyone making any of the Art Deco or Nouveau Sceptre kits form PSI?? I was wondering if they are a truly upgrade from the other kits. In other words are they worth the money. I was hoping that the group buy would go thru for the Daycom pens, and wondered if these pens would be similar in quality.

Thanks all and have a great day;

Bob:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

I have turned the Sceptre pens and I think they are unique due to the shape of the cap, and the scuplted nib end on the rollerball & fountains. I never turned the art deco yet. I may, still not sure how well I like them.

Quality wise I feel they are as good as some of the higher end Dayacoms, but I never turned the lotus, or emperials.

MyKidsDad

Bob, I've made two of the art deco and one of the sceptre pens. I've never made an imperial or lotus for comparison so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to say how "high end" they are. One of the art deco pens was a gift for someone that I work with and the sceptre was a gift for SWMBO. THe second art deco pen was bought by the coworker that I made the first one for. He gave it to someone as a gift. I liked the quality of the kits but I've just made them in the last few months so no comments as to how the plating holds up over time and with use. My impression of them was that they were high end kits. I don't like the style of the sceptre but SWMBO did and that was the pen she requested.

I have turned all of the new pens that PSI is selling. I think they are excellent.

The Sceptre is a beautiful pen, I have also made the BP version and had great response at my Christmas sales.

The Art Deco BP was one of my top sellers, the RB version was not as popular as the Sceptre RB.

the art Deco and the Scepter are both very nice, heavy. solid kits.
But I cannot sell them. And I have them CHEAP $55.00 for the scepters with truestone and 35 for the deco with resin or wood and they dont sell . People dont even look at them at shows we do :O(

Is anyone making any of the Art Deco or Nouveau Sceptre kits form PSI?? I was wondering if they are a truly upgrade from the other kits. In other words are they worth the money. I was hoping that the group buy would go thru for the Daycom pens, and wondered if these pens would be similar in quality.

I've turned one of the Nouveau Sceptre kits... I don't know if it's any better than some of the other kits or not... I do think it's a bit gaudy... but I made one to have a really expensive pen on the table when customers are looking... then the others don't seem so expensive.. maybe will improve sales.

PenMan1

They are ok quality, but as others have said, they just don't sell for me. I have several that have been in inventory since PSI first introduce them.

IMHO, the quality of Broadwell pens is FAR, FAR below the quality of the high end Dayacoms.

Last edited:

omb76

I've turned one of the Nouveau Sceptre kits... I don't know if it's any better than some of the other kits or not... I do think it's a bit gaudy... but I made one to have a really expensive pen on the table when customers are looking... then the others don't seem so expensive.. maybe will improve sales.

I agree that there is a lot going on with the Sceptre. Blank choice will either make or break it in my opinion. I made a fountain style last year out of Blue Lapis and it turned out really nice. The more simple the blank the better it looks I think.

yorkie

I have made both and think the quality is very good indeed. However, people don't always see the price value I'm looking for in these pens. I find people's price-point is close to the 35-65 mark for most, so it's a hard sell to get people up the 100+ to warrant the cost of these pens. having said that, I have sold them but don't look for as high a profit in them as others.

As with selling any of your pens, look for the highest quality pen kits that you can still make a decent profit on, without doing it for nothing or pricing yourself to a point of frustration.

I tend to stick with the Polaris, Navigator/Baron, Jr. Gent/Retro, Long Clicker, Professional Clicker and Zen. Past these kits, if I make any other styles, I make them for my own enjoyment and if I make a few bucks on them then even better.

SteveG

They are ok quality, but as others have said, they just don't sell for me. I have several that have been in inventory since PSI first introduce them.

IMHO, the quality of Broadwell pens is FAR, FAR below the quality of the high end Dayacoms.

Andy, would you care to elaborate on the specifics of quality difference between PSI Broadwell and High end Dayacom? I have made and sold a number of NS kits, and have been satisfied with them overall. Help me train up my powers of pen kit discernment!

Steve

I have made all the Daycoms, Lotus, Imperial, Emp etc, I don't see a big difference in quality as you have, what have you noticed as the biggest quality issues?

aggromere

I have made some of each. I don't like the two piece kit.

the art deco one piece (the one similiar to the majestic squire) is a fine kit, with parts equal to the squire, although a little meatier and heavier. It is more ornate than the squire and probably not for everyone, but i have sold some that people simply feel in love with. I usually use, bakelite, celluloid or ebonite to maintain the theme of an older pen style.

I mostly make dayacom kits of the gentlemen series, particularly the gentlemen twist ball point pen. I wish they made a single barrel twist pen. They are my favorite kits.

Even though we can't get the dayacom emperor, lotus and imperial anymore, they are in a class by themselves as far as pen kits go.

the art Deco and the Scepter are both very nice, heavy. solid kits.
But I cannot sell them. And I have them CHEAP $55.00 for the scepters with truestone and 35 for the deco with resin or wood and they dont sell . People dont even look at them at shows we do :O(

I think the venue maybe the problem for you. I sell the Sceptre at $285 in a local gallery, even with the % cut the owner takes I am quite happy with the sales. The one thing I will say about the Art Deco and the Sceptre is that the choice of blank is very important. What sells for me might not sell for you, but choice is what makes it work for me,

I have attached a few examples.

IMG_8840-1.jpg

IMG_8838-1.jpg

IMG_8715.jpg

IMG_8386.jpg

PenMan1

The biggest differences between ,say a Lotus (one of the high ends being considered in the group buy, and refects back to the OP's question), and a Deco is that the Lotus has many small indentions, recesses, etc. At each of those places the plating is clean and consistent. The plating also seems to be much more substantial.

The plating on the Broadwells that I have bought has been erratic from one to the next, and not smooth. Additionally, some of the crystals were glued in crooked.

Now, that is to be expected as the Lotus is a $60 set and the Broadwell a $40 set. So, the comparison IS apples to oranges. BUT again, IMHO, the Broadwell's are NOT top quality. BUT, the Majestic and JR Majestics are similar in quality (and price) to the Dayacom high end.

What I should have posted is that the Majestics would be a better purchase for me as they are higher quality AND proven winners in my sales arena. The Broadwell's ....not si much.

65GTMustang

I have turned each of the PSI Kits offered myself
I have my favorites and those that I would rather not turn again….I won't mention those of course.

In response to the subject question, based on what sells for me and personal opinion and preference;
The Broadwell line is a good pen – nice weight & design.
I have sold more of the ball point twist style pen. My guess is folks don't want to keep up with the cap during use or don't like the additional weight when posted during use.
As for recent design verse previous year – Sceptre or Deco
I like the new design in the casting, however most people I have sold pens too or gifted they prefer the clear crystal over the citrine colored crystal.

As for the base line lower cost kits verses the more expensive "upgrade"
I would agree with the previous experiences posted from the other responses – It's difficult to get the additional money to cover the additional cost.

PenMan1

Even though we can't get the dayacom emperor, lotus and imperial anymore, they are in a class by themselves as far as pen kits go.

I agree completely! That's why I was working so hard to get more of these kits. When you are selling $500 pens, IMHO, the quality should announce itself from the moment you pick up the pen.

The Majestic and Jr Majestic do make a statement, but in my market they just don't get the play of the Emperor, Lotus, Imperial, or for that matter even the Jr. Statesman.

Top Bottom