Breast Cancer Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikefoye

I have turned 4 Breast Cancer Pens from PSI. When assembled the refill does not fully retract. The tip of the refill is just about equal with the tip of the nib. There is no adjustment with the transmission. I have not had this problem with any other pen. I glue it and then use a Whiteside cutter to square it for turning just like I do for all the pens that I do. It appears to me that there is a design flaw and that the tube really needs to be almost 1/8" longer. Anyone have a similar experience? These kits are so magnificent and so appreciated and treasured by the fighters that I have gifted them to that I will make my own lower barrel tubes if I have to.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have not had any trouble with the pens I made. I use a disc sander instead of the cutters to square the ends, easier to sneak up on the brass tube for me.

darrin1200

Ive never done this particular kit, but a couple of things come to mind.

Are the upper and lower barrel , the same length. Some kits have upper barrels that are just a hair shorter than the lower. If you mix them up, damkt, it wont work out well.

Another thing to check, is to compare a new lower tube, to one of your finshed lower barrels. Maybe they are a close tollerance, and you are sanding just a smidge to much off.

It is a nice kit though. I may look into them myself. Both my and my wifes sister were diagnosed with breast cancer this year. Her sister finished treatments last month, and my sister starts her radiation next month. So far the prognisis is great for both of them

mikefoye

I have used disc too but with the same result. tubes in kit are different lengths so no chance of confusion. I compared new kit tube with a completed kit and the length dimension is within .008 of each other. I need an additional .125 to make it look right. I sent a note to tech support at PSI but no response yet. I am going to buy 8mm tubes and make the lower barrels myself I guess.
Blessings and prayers to your family Darrin. I am a 3-year jaw cancer survivor myself. Was tough battle but after retirement and then winning that battle I turned to pen turning and it has been a blast. Your "sisters" would love to have one of these. Check them out.

More4dan

You could sand a little off the plastic end of the refill to salvage the pen but I wouldn't for resale only for personal use.

WriteON

I did a few kits. All worked out well. As mentioned earlier be sure not to invert tubes. I tend to gift these to BC patients/survivors.

Attachments

• BC pen.jpg
    BC pen.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 93
Top Bottom