Brazilian ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

Hi,

I just put my hand on a nice and free[:p] supply of Gombeira also known as Brazilian ebony. Anyone as work with it? Seems pretty hard and dense wood.

Thanks

Alfred

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Alfred I have, I've done 2 pens and several keyfobs, I got the wood at a decent price, and it turns easy, it is pretty hard, but handles alot better than Wenge, it's a fairly close grain and sands out well, I do suggest a good wipe down with Acetone before doing a straight CA finish I bought 4 board feet for under 30 bucks. :D

arioux

Hi,

Thanks Ken for the input, i have never worked with this wood. My wood place has them on special buy, 15"x 3¼ x 15/16 for $1.99. He gave me 5 of them, with my last purchase:D

Alfred

Rifleman1776

There are a lot of different names for many South American woods. But if it is free that makes it very good wood. ;)
Those hard-hard woods from SA usually turn very well and often are very beautiful. A word of caution, many can be toxic. Wear a mask to protect from dust and wash your hands after handling.

arioux

Hi,

Thaks for the advice Frank. I had no problem with any wood so far but you are right, when working with a wood you have never been in contact with before, we should always take some extra care.

Alfred

Top Bottom