Brass Tubes Insertion Method

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Splinter

I have read that some people plug the end of the brass tubes with playdough, wax or some other product before inserting the tube into the blank to keep the glue out of the tube.

What method are you using for holding/inserting the tube into the blank after you get the glue on it?

I currently use a insertion tool (cheap nail set) to insert the tube after spreading the CA on the tube. And sometimes I get a little glue in the tubes.

Also what is the best product to use to plug the tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I use YO-YO Spin's method, and use a spare cap from a ca bottle to hold the tube. I don't think it's necessary to use wax or anything for plugging the tube. If you look at Ed's tutorial for the Sierra you'll see his method, works really well;)

PaulDoug

I use dental wax which I bought from AS. When that runs out, I'm not sure what I will use, I forget to use anything a big percent of the time. To insert, I use my fingers. My fingers are alway a glued mess! A pencil works pretty good for the smaller tubes.

GoodTurns

I use the AS dental wax also, buy $5 worth and you're pretty much set for life! It definitely helps, just need to be sure to get it cleaned from the inside surface of the tubes or you can have slippage problems when assembling the pen. I use a harbor freight nail set to insert the tubes (got 3 huge ones, different sizes) for about $2...

jskeen

I raided my offsprings stash of playdoh, works great, leaves little to no residue in tube, and if it does happen to leave some, it's colored and easy to spot.

Dan_F

I seal one end with Play Dough, then use a wooden insertion tool I turned on the lathe. I remove the plug with a dowel or pencil BEFORE the glue (epoxy) sets. I will usually use a Qtip to swab the inside of both ends of the tube with acetone if it looks like any glue got inside the tube, this is also before the glue sets. I will use a thin scrap of wood as a scraper if a large deposit of glue is collecting on the tube as it slides in, leaving enough to coat the end of the tube, but preventing a big glob to form and run into the tube.

Dan

bradh

I don't plug the tubes and just twist the tubes in by hand. The last 1/2 inch I push in with a bag from a pen kit to keep the glue off my hands.
Because I don't plug the tubes, after drying, I clear them with a course round chainsaw file to clear the glue.

CHICAGOHAND

For those who are using bushings from "JOHNNYCNC" any residue in the tubes makes it a real pain because of the close tolerences between bushing and tube.
Therefore I have been using Play dough and have yet to have a problem with left over glue inside the tubes which would require a bit of effort to clear out. My vote is for Play dough, the kids are not happy but hey that's the breaks.

TBone

Dental wax from AS. I use an insertion tool, fingers, punch anything that's handy to put the tubes in. I only plug the first end of the tube, any glue in the top is cleaned with a brass brush from a gun cleaning kit.

nightowl

I use an insertion tool that came in a start up kit from WoodCraft. It works really well with most kits except the really large barrel kit. Then I just use my fingers. I have never plugged a tube. The barrell trimmer that I use has a shaft that usually cleans all of the glue out of the inside of the tube. Never had a problem. I use CA glue. Epoxy may be different.

badger

I turned a tapered piece from some scrap cherry I had to make a pen insertion tool. I occasionally scrape off the glue remnants that always end up on the tool.

Rudy Vey

I never used an insertion tool other than my fingers. Sometimes I use the was plates from AS to close the tubes, but removing this is as messy as removing glue rests in the tube. It is pretty easy using a craft knife to remove any glue that might be left inside the tube.

Daniel

I have used potatoe for years, but finally got tired of having to run in the house to get one. So I recently had my wife get me a can of play dough and it wirks just as well. I only plug one end and I have a complicated way of inserting the tube. I don't get glue on my fingers. Basically I push the tube in by hand but not all the way. I use the second half of the barrel or some other piece of something to push it down flush. I usually am gluing a series of several blanks and I am able to get the glue to pour from one blank to the next this way. (No waste). I can actually set on my couch and glue up tons of blanks. never get glue on anything. Oh I also use gorrilla glue or epoxy.

Splinter

For those who are using bushings from "JOHNNYCNC" any residue in the tubes makes it a real pain because of the close tolerences between bushing and tube.
Therefore I have been using Play dough and have yet to have a problem with left over glue inside the tubes which would require a bit of effort to clear out. My vote is for Play dough, the kids are not happy but hey that's the breaks.

Do you plug both ends of the tube....and if you do how do you insert the tube into the blank?

ahoiberg

i think q-tips work great. i just insert with a rubber gloved hand and if any gets in the tube, quickly wipe it out with a q-tip. hasn't hindered a pen assembly yet.

CHICAGOHAND

I have been plugging both ends of the tube and I use a small rod to push out the dough when the glue is dry. Then I use a small threaded rod run back and forth a few times to clean what little remains. This is the fastest and cleanest method I have found.
I put on a pair or rubber gloves, put glue in blank and on tube run it in and out from both ends then slide it home.

bad

I just started turning pens this week. I've found that a cheap plastic Bic mechanical pencil works great as an insertion tool. I press the tube onto the tapered end of the pencil and it sticks there while I apply the glue. A slight side to side motion when I insert the tube into the blank and it easily releases. Necessity really is the mother of invention : )
Bruce

nava1uni

I use non-drying kid's molding clay. Inexpensive and one box lasts for a long time. I use my fingers with some finger cots to keep them from getting full of glue.

MCSO5164

I don't plug the holes. I just wear rubber gloves and an insertion tool. When I do get glue in the tube I just use an x-acto knife to get it out after it dries. It usually flakes out pretty easily. Terry

Top Bottom