Brass tubes in cartridges

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bhenr99

I seen on site about putting shrink wrap on end of tube to make it fit snug. I did that and there is still a lot of slop.After testing with a nib in a brass tube it still is sloppy.How do I get a snug fitting between tube and cartridge at the nib end? Thanks for any help.

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

I use masking tape, about a 4-5" (expieriment) piece cut in half length wise, then wrap around the tube leaving an 1/8 in showing on the tube. I put it in the bullet end and then have to twist and push it to seat it where it's flush on the base and leaving about 1/32 out. That is centered for me and then I fill the gap with CA, then trim it off. So far I have none break loose on either end. Others here do the soldered end. Works for me. Bob

W.Y.

I don't have any problem with the shrink wrap which makes me wonder if it comes in different mil thicknesses.
Or if some shells have a different inside diameter . ? I am having such great luck with 30.06's that I probably won't try any other size.
I use thick CA above and around the shrink wrap portion and twist and turn it as I insert the tube and it self centers. Then I hit it with a shot of aerosol activator.
When the nib is pressed in it will expand the tube slightly and it's not going anywhere after that. :wink:

W.Y.

MobilMan

Some time back I got some cartriges off ebay & asked the seller how he installed the tube. No solder & perfectly centered. Answer: After drilling, plug one end of the tube with candle wax, wet tube & cartrige, pour a little Gorilla Glue on cart. then push the tube in from drilled end. The swelling action of the GG will automatically center the tube.

Nick

You may be on to something, has anyone else tried this?

I have lately been Sumo glue for gluing tubes in Acrylic blanks. There seems to be less foaming and can be tinted with pearlx to hide tubes.

Last edited:

fernhills

I have used Aluminum Duct tape, that works good, i think about two layers. Or if i have some extra 8mm tubes i make a jacket for the 7mm tube on the nib end. Carl

titan2

I seen on site about putting shrink wrap on end of tube to make it fit snug. I did that and there is still a lot of slop.After testing with a nib in a brass tube it still is sloppy.How do I get a snug fitting between tube and cartridge at the nib end? Thanks for any help.

Bob

More shrink tubing.......

arjudy

Glue on a small piece of acrylic and turn it down to the inside diameter of the casing. Glue in with epoxy. I use a 17/64 drill bit to drill out the primer end and then use a chain saw file to make the hole just a bit larger so that the transmission end of the tube fits tightly in the casing.

ken69912001

Personally I use 8mm tubes first then insert the 7mm inside. Drill the primer end for the 7mm only. Then insert the 8mm in the cartridge. With my new cartridges it fits very snugly. You can glue it in if you want to. Then glue the 7mm inside the 8 or you can solder it in. 8mm tubes are available from Woodturningz.

Top Bottom