brass tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

i know this might seem like a crazy question,,but aside from the strength it gives the pen blank when you are turning it,,do you actually need the brass tubes,,for instance,,,if your pen required a 7mm hole,,why cant you get a 7mm rod and cut it and insert it into the hole and leave enough on each end so you can insert the bushings,,can anyone give me some ideas on this subject,,,,thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Most blanks get turned down pretty thin especially near the components. So the strength of the tube is not just needed for turning but sort of acts like a skeleton for the finished pen. It also generally gives you the correct spacing between components so the refill fits properly.

I can't think of one single real advantage for not using the tubes. I've heard it said that it makes pens lighter, but really? Say for instance a 6mm hole was needed for the tube and perhaps a 5.5mm drill theoretically could be used just to hold the components. The tube is replacing the removed material, so there really can't be much saving.

I guess another big plus for the tubes is that it normally is a precise size for the components to press into. A blank would have to be pretty tough to offer the same grip on the parts before cracking.

I also really don't like see-through pens where the threads can be seen, or the various depths of drills used can be seen. .

Just my 2p worth.....for free:biggrin:

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There are a couple very established penmakers who do not use tubes in some of their designs. Two displayed at the Washington DC show, several years ago, the last time I attended that show.

Robert Taylor

You would have to drill your bushings to a 7mm hole to get them to fit over your 7mm rod as they only have a 1/4" hole in them. With a metal lathe you are only limited by your imagination, I can not figure the direction that you are attempting to go. More info may clear that up. I am old so I don't think as clear as I use to. lol

Top Bottom