Brass tube stuck on upper barrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

There's got to be a way to fix this. Apparently the friction bond between the pen clip holder (the button thing that holds the clip on) is stronger than the gel Lock-tite CA that I used. I don't mind destroying the brass tube, but how do I remove without damaging the top button pen clip holder?

It's no longer in the tube. I came apart when using my transfer punches. I

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

I would saw off the brass tube just below the insert , then very carefully use a Dremel with a small cyhdrical stone to grind through the brass tube . You wont be able to cut it right down to the clip , but it should loosen it enough to remove it . Very delicate operation though . Heat applied to the tube with a small torch might expand it enough to get it off without destroying it . Good luck .

TonyL

Brass tube stuck

Here you go.

Attachments

• Brass tube stuck.jpg
    Brass tube stuck.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 243

seamus7227

i would use a center punch down the middle of the tube and tap the end of the punch with a hammer, but make sure you have somewhere soft for the finial end to land on once it breaks loose

Can you take a dremel tool and work the tube where is is thin enough to release. You can grind on one side then the tube should slide out. Good luck this will take patience. You can not hole the clip to drill it.. You may hold it with the cushioned pliers we sue to dis assemble pens. Lt us know. You may be able to purchase another clip if it ruined. There are websites that sell pen parts.

Tony I have been thinking, I would probably cut the tube close to the clip. Then take a triangle file with fine teeth, then file on the side until it goes thru the tube being careful not the hit the top of the clip this should allow the tube to compress enough to be removed.

TimS124

Drill a scrap of wood, CA glue the tube into the scrap, let it dry/cure well, grip the scrap securely and try again with the transfer punch.

With the tube unsupported like it is now, it will be hard to get a secure grip on it (and very easy to crush or bruise it).

Once you have the cap off, soak the scrap in acetone or turn it on the lathe down to the bare tube...

TonyL

Thanks for the advice, I will try the least aggressive first and move on from there. I will let you all know which worked. I don't like losing a whole kit to a missing piece.

Thank you again!

Dr.Internet

I'm not sure if it is "stuck" on by friction or glued on with CA.
If the latter, a little acetone should release it.
If the former, I suggest that you set up a propane torch on something solid and work in a non-combustible environment (i.e. not at your bench surrounded by woodchips and chemicals). Use two pair of pliers, one for the tube and one for the part.
Start the torch and apply heat to the brass tube. Hold the tube by the end away from the part and apply the heat in the middle of the tube. After a few seconds of heat the brass should expand sufficiently to release the part. Pull it away with the pliers using a mild twisting and pulling motion. Set it down and allow it to cool before handling. The brass tube may or may not be re-usable after this.

If the punch doesn't work, I have used the dremmel tool to gently grind through the tube until just before scarring the end cap.. If you don't have a dremmel, put the tube in a vise & file the tube on a couple of sides...you should be able to slide the end cap right out! If it is help in by some illusive extra CA..I like the "soak it in acetone" method..(Finger nail polish remover might work)

TonyL

No CA, just friction. The tube is so soft, my vice grips may bend the tube. I will use a little more finesse and go back to the punch. Thanks again folks!

JP61

There is no glue. Its is just on tightly by means of friction.

Squeeze tube with needle-nose pliers near where it is stuck with numerous small bites in a 360° fashion to somewhat reduce tube's OD. Put in vise, with punch, tap to separate the two parts?

JP61

:redface: disregard what I said in post #20, it's totally wrong

It's been a very long winter and long time since I've put a pen together.

Top Bottom