Brass tube slipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

has anyone come up with a good fix for the tube twisting on the transmission? (On Slims) I have been having this problem more than usual.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

Assume you're asking about slimlines? If so, a few swipes with 80grit sandpaper on the transmission seems to work best for me. I've seen other suggestions such as deforming the transmission a bit with a punch but that didn't work well for me -- YRMV.

On those where the transmission is really stiff, I spray WD-40 in the transmission. This really makes the tranny loose to fault though and I use this only as a last resort.

One more of the reasons I don't like making slimlines. I wish I could find a source of high quality slimline transmissions because I have some customers who prefer the thin shape :frown:.

Willee

Hummmm.....

The transmission it failing and twisting around with out operating the ball point?

Or do you mean the upper brass barrel that grips the transmission is slipping not allowing the ballpoint to extend or retract when you twist it.
Perhaps the transmission is twisting in the lower tube (the one it is pressed into).

In either case I dont know what to tell you.
I have never had that problem with any of the 250 or so Slimline pens I have built.

I would suspect either you are over reaming the inside of the brass tube or they are not the correct size to begin with.
Are these quality pen kits from Berea, Hut, or Pen State?
Funlines?

Last edited:

RDH79

The brass tube is twisting on the trans and not working the refill. I do think that my 7mm mill might be the problem. Over milling. I usually square the blanks close with a carbide mill and finish on the edgesander.
Also the kits are Tigld but not sure if the tubes are really the problem. I also buy lots of extra tubes from CSUSA And I get the Apprentice tubes. There .5 cheaper than the regular slim tubes for some reason. so not sure which ones that are doing this. I just had 2 of the last 10 slip.

jttheclockman

Are you sure they are the same size tubes you are interchanging?? There seems to be discepencies alot of times when switching manufactorers.

zig613

<The brass tube is twisting on the trans and not working the refill.>

I have had this problem a couple of times. To fix it simply rough up the inside of the brass tube with some sandpaper wrapped around a transfer punch. This will provide enought friction for the tube to work the transmission.

Wade

Willee

The brass tube is twisting on the trans and not working the refill. I do think that my 7mm mill might be the problem. Over milling. I usually square the blanks close with a carbide mill and finish on the edgesander.
Also the kits are Tigld but not sure if the tubes are really the problem. I also buy lots of extra tubes from CSUSA And I get the Apprentice tubes. There .5 cheaper than the regular slim tubes for some reason. so not sure which ones that are doing this. I just had 2 of the last 10 slip.

If you are over milling you will see brass filings being removed.
I doubt that you are if you are doing it by hand.

Next time make sure the brass tube you are going to use for the top barrel (cap) fits tightly over the sliver tube part of the transmission before you glue it into the blank.
This is something you can test as soon as you get the kit.
If it does not fit tightly then return the kit as a defect.
You can also test any extra 7mm tubes you have purchased separately and see if they fit tightly onto the transmission or not.

mick

has anyone come up with a good fix for the tube twisting on the transmission? (On Slims) I have been having this problem more than usual.
Thanks
Simple fix for this is to dimple the transmission from the inside with a very small transfer punch. Do this in 2 or 3 places. These dimple will grab the tube. I have also used a pair of needle nose pliers and SLIGHTY flared out the top opening on the tranny.
I think a big culprit of this is the mixing of tube from different suppliers. Quality control seems sadly seems to be lacking in the maufacturing of brass.:mad:

sbwertz

Assume you're asking about slimlines? If so, a few swipes with 80grit sandpaper on the transmission seems to work best for me. I've seen other suggestions such as deforming the transmission a bit with a punch but that didn't work well for me -- YRMV.

On those where the transmission is really stiff, I spray WD-40 in the transmission. This really makes the tranny loose to fault though and I use this only as a last resort.

One more of the reasons I don't like making slimlines. I wish I could find a source of high quality slimline transmissions because I have some customers who prefer the thin shape :frown:.

You can get transmissions from smitty37.

Sharon

Top Bottom