Brass tube in Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I am making my first attempt out of aluminum. Why? It is what I have. Do I really need to use the brass tube? I have a drill that exactly matches the ID of the tube.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
No, you don't really need to use the brass tube.
However, you may find that the combination of the brass tube and the glue that's holding it in will offer more flexibility than the aluminium.
The brass tube will stretch to accept the pressed in parts and still shrink back enough to grip them afterwards, but the aluminium may just stretch to accept them and not offer much grip later. You therefore may have to glue the parts into the aluminium to keep them there.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I've used chucking reamers to get the ID of metal blanks spot on for pens. I have made many pens out of re-bar this way for example.

ldb2000

Skippy is correct , the aluminum most likely won't hold the components very well or long . I make allot of aluminum pens and usually use the brass tubes to hold transmissions and nib/nosecones . These parts are subject to stresses that will cause the parts to loosen over time . On pens that I don't use tubes I use epoxy to glue in the parts , CA is too brittle and will break away over time .

Haynie

Well. That is half fer it and half agin it. The stretching has me worried. I just looked at the wall thickness based on the bushing and this may be an issue. I guess it can't hurt to put the tube in. Heck I bought it, might as well use it. Now the question of gluing it in.

I suppose this is a job for epoxy or will gorilla glue work if both are suitably roughed up?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I need a picture

Will someone email me a good picture of an assembled Ligero Rollerball and assembled Ligero Fountain pen? Something you don't mind if I use it in my store. Preference would be 24kt gold or Chrome. Thank you?
OOPS thought I was starting a new thread ..... 10000 apologies. Please ignore.

Last edited:

Mapster

I have found that just about any glue works for the aluminum. Personally I like CA the most, but it is up to you and what you have.

ldb2000

I advise epoxy due to the flexibility . CA does a wonderful job of bonding but once cured offer no flex . I am dead set against Poly glues on any joint that has a gap . the Poly glues do fill the gaps but with a foam that has no structural strength , for joints that have no gaps they work very well .

Top Bottom