Brass Powder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

I'm trying to do some brass infill using brass powder but the results don't quite look like solid metal. I've been using CA.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I pack it in very tightly and mound the shavings about 1/8" proud of the wood before adding thin CA. The CA will cause the brass to sink into the hole, add more powder to fill in the low spots and make sure it is slightly higher than the wood and then CA again. Repeat as needed to build up the powder. If there are any low spots in the brass, those spots will look like brass powder, not like solid brass - so add more metal and CA. I tamp it down as soon as the CA is applied, the tighter the packing, the more it will look like solid brass when you're finished.

DJBPenmaker

I pack it in very tightly and mound the shavings about 1/8" proud of the wood before adding thin CA. The CA will cause the brass to sink into the hole, add more powder to fill in the low spots and make sure it is slightly higher than the wood and then CA again. Repeat as needed to build up the powder. If there are any low spots in the brass, those spots will look like brass powder, not like solid brass - so add more metal and CA. I tamp it down as soon as the CA is applied, the tighter the packing, the more it will look like solid brass when you're finished.
Ah, I've been drizzling the powder on to CA, so I need to try the other way round in that case. Thanks

DJBPenmaker

I tried your method today, worked a lot better that way round. Thanks

Top Bottom