Brass pen tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Krylon, and always the inside of the barrel for most non solid wood blanks.

CREID

Use gloves though when you do the inside of the blank, It takes days to get all that paint off my fingers. And no, I am not kidding about spraying the inside (lazy). :)
Curt

Skie_M

I'm an odd duck, I guess ....

I like to be able to see a hint of that brass tube through some of my acrylics. It makes for an interesting design point, in my opinion.

That having been said, if I want to hide it, I'll shoot it with some spray paint. :)

pianomanpj

I'll paint the inside of the blank hole with whatever colorant I have on hand - acrylic or enamel. And since I glue my tubes with epoxy, I always dye the resin with a few drops of paint (enamel) before adding the hardener for a little more insurance against seeing the tube through the blank.

beck3906

Why the inside of the blank? Why not the tube itself? Both processes do the same job....cover the brass color of the tube?

Maybe I'm missing something in others suggestions here.

beck3906

I spray paint a number of tubes on a long dowel rod to save time. I then mix a couple of drops of acrylic paint into the epoxy to help with the glue swirls.

I can pre-paint extra tubes to always a have a few ready.

beck3906

You should also check the inside of the hole in the blank to ensure there are no rough places after drilling. Sometimes the hot acrylic forms sharp spots that break off and scratch things. Use a file to clean the inside of the hole.

Jim Smith

Rather than wearing gloves when painting the tubes and the inside of blanks, I simply clamp the blanks in a hand-help spring clamp. I hold the clamp and blank in a trash barrel and give it a few sprays at each end. No muss to paint on my hands and I just squeeze the clamp and release the blank onto my drying rack. To paint the tubes, I slip them onto the prongs of a cheap Turkey lifter fork and give them a spray. All told, it takes me about 60 seconds to paint both the tube and the inside of the blank.

Jim Smith

CREID

Rather than wearing gloves when painting the tubes and the inside of blanks, I simply clamp the blanks in a hand-help spring clamp. I hold the clamp and blank in a trash barrel and give it a few sprays at each end. No muss to paint on my hands and I just squeeze the clamp and release the blank onto my drying rack. To paint the tubes, I slip them onto the prongs of a cheap Turkey lifter fork and give them a spray. All told, it takes me about 60 seconds to paint both the tube and the inside of the blank.

Jim Smith
Come on, live a little. I have a box of gloves sitting right there, but I live an adventurous life and just hold the thing in my bare hands and spray. Then I tell myself how stupid that was and promise myself not to do it again. And guess what?:biggrin:

Curt

Top Bottom