Brass Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

With scallops being the new rage, and brass strips being readily available, are there any brass kits out there? Lacking that, would it be possible to strip a cheap 24K gold kit and then polish the brass as a DIY alternative?

What would strip the gold? I have a rock tumbler so maybe the finest grit, followed by a polishing wheel and then spray lacquer to keep the shine? Any other ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I personally haven't seen brass component sets. But at least on the lower end of the scale, copper components are plentiful.

w5brw

I made the mistake of attempting to re-polish a pen on my buffer (diamond white wheel) and it striped the plating of a gold slim clean off. Removing the finish might be easier than you think.

Whaler

I had an oops on a Washington state Quarter blank and turned a piece of brass to save it and I think the brass goes well with the copper on this Jr Retro.

Attachments

• BrassCopper.jpg
    BrassCopper.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 115

OKLAHOMAN

Gold Titanium to me has always been more brass looking than gold.And there are many Ti/Gold component sets.

soligen

I think the alloy under the plating on kit parts might be a bit hit or miss.

I have taken the plating off some parts, but it could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I stripped several cigar kit nose cones - they were brass. I used a carbide tool on a lathe.

I stripped a cigar clip (hand sanding) - not brass. I don't know what is was, but it is no surprize that it isn't brass as I dont think brass that thin would have the needed strrngth for a clip.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I think the alloy under the plating on kit parts might be a bit hit or miss.

I have taken the plating off some parts, but it could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I stripped several cigar kit nose cones - they were brass. I used a carbide tool on a lathe.

I stripped a cigar clip (hand sanding) - not brass. I don't know what is was, but it is no surprize that it isn't brass as I dont think brass that thin would have the needed strrngth for a clip.
Very accurate analysis, I suspect both the "copper" and the "brass" are actually some alloy version of each to give it some needed strength.

Top Bottom