Brass inserts sticking out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David2252

Hello,
Just finished my first pen. I tried a search but kind of a strange topic. The pieces of the pen did not butt up against the wood. The brass inserts stopped them, because they were sticking out past the wood very slightly. I used a barrel trimmer. What did I do wrong??

Thanks
David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David2252

You can see the daylight between the wood and the pressed part. It stopped because it is against the brass. All four ends did this.

IMAG0319.jpg

SteveG

This looks like a "slim" or other 7 mm type tube. Sometimes a barrel trimmer will allow the tube to sort of slide in between the trimmer head and the shaft. It only happens with 7 mm tubes. The result is what you experienced. You can just trim the extended portion of the tube with a razor knife (future pens). You will need to disassemble this pen to correct it. (Undercut a bit...very slightly, and it will not show.) Many pen turners use a sanding disk or belt, instead of the barrel trimmer, for this and other reasons.

Rockytime

I think you may do better sanding on a belt sander or sand on the lathe. There should be instructions for a simple lathe sanding system you can easily make. Good luck to you.

KenV

Hi David

I had a barrel trimmer that would not cut the end of 7 mm tubes off even with the wood. There was a gap between the pilot and trimmer that left a reminent of the tube sticking up after trimming. I have seen a few posts that show it has happened to others.

I have been trimming with sanding for several years, and that sanding does not have the same places to have problems.

How do you tell if the trimmer is leaving a rim? I felt it first. The end of a freshly trimmed blanm should be smooth straight across. Looking across the end, there should be neither dips nor protrusions.

How to fix it? Immediate fix was to use the small reamer, deburring tool or fine toothed file to take the brass down to level. The longer term fix is to talk to the supplier of the trimmer head (or shift to sanding).

Could it be this???

mecompco

David, welcome. Good advice above! I never did have much luck with the barrel trimmer and soon ditched it. A sanding wheel on the lathe does a much better job and won't blow up delicate blanks.

Also, I assume on your next pen that you will complete your sanding and finish it?

Keep practicing and you'll get it all figured out--there is a learning curve and we've all been through it.

Regards,
Michael

ken ledger

Well this is my first post so treat me with care please :)

I got this when i made slim pens the first time and for me it was to much pressure on the trimmer. My solution was a tool i had from my years as an A/C engineer, its a tube deburring tool, it's like a little hook at the end and freely rotates, it has a handle and is the simplest of tools to use. It will remove the burr with no chatter.
They can be got a RS or just about and A/C suppliers.

look here Tube Deburring Tool - Yellow Jacket HVAC Supplies and Products

Marmotjr

I have found an Exacto knife works well for gently shaving back the end of tubes that stick out a bit. I'm talking less than 1mm sticking out. Just gently shave the tube flush against the wood without cutting into the wood. It's a lot easier than it seems, and the steel blades cut the brass tubes easily. Then run the flat side of the blade inside the tube to deburr it.

I use a barrel trimmer most of the time, and don't have too many issues with it. I mount it in a jacobs chuck on the lathe, and use the tail stock to gently apply pressure to the blank, to keep the pressure even across the blank. But that said, I have had to resort to the disc sander option a few times for various reasons. So if you have neither, I'd start with the sander, as it does more than just a barrel trimmer.

That tool you linked looks nice, but it won't carve back the wood, like a trimmer or sander will.

Last edited:

corgicoupe

One additional suggestion for a non-motorized solution that gives you more control. Stick some wet or dry sanding paper on a glass plate or a scrap of off cut granite (readily gotten from counter installers). Then sand the brass down flush with the wood.

David2252

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, advice and politically correct criticism. I got ahead of myself, my sand paper order had not come in yet. I just had to put one together. Being new to this I do not have a sander so I will due some research.
Again thanks for all of the input!
David

JimB

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, advice and politically correct criticism. I got ahead of myself, my sand paper order had not come in yet. I just had to put one together. Being new to this I do not have a sander so I will due some research.
Again thanks for all of the input!
David

Sandpaper is available at your local big box store. You also don't need a sander to square the ends of your blanks. Here is what I use.
View in Gallery

wouldentu2?

Sand the brass tube flush to the blank by rubbing it on sand paper while held vertical, takes only moments on 220 sand paper.

Top Bottom