brass filing inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

Another experiment. This is a slimline out of a piece of skanky persimmon. There was a bunch of that solid black with lots of voids and inclusions. I used some brass key filings from my local hardware store, and filled it with thick CA. It worked OK but the filings are a bit big to really fill in good. I would like some smaller metal "dust" or something. Anyway it was another of my experiments and I learn something on each one.

200532905013_inlay.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

That's a great way to learn. I wonder if you couldn't get some brass metal and make some finer brass filler material with the coarse wheel on your grinder. It might be too fine but worth a try.

jimr

I tried filing some brass of my own and also grinding some. Either way it is a SLOW process for any significant volume. there is a company called douglas& Sturgess that sells sculptor supplies. they have atomized metal powder at great prices- a pound for $11 and under depending on the metal. Has anyone tried this? I don't know if if would be to fine or not but I sure would like to find out.

jwoodwright

Everyone knows my stance on Safety...

If you want your Grinding Wheel to Explode and Endanger Your Life, then Grind Soft Metal Like Brass on it, Then When You Grind Steel, the Wheel gets Super Hot and Departs...

See the soft metal clings to the wheel material and it is now not Friable and can not release the heat from grinding. That spray of sparks has wheel material as well as metal... This is why wheels get smaller, Friable means new material is exposed...

Gary

Well...I guess that answers the question about collecting brass filler material at the grinding station...LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom