Brass to Brass.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RedBeard

Typically when I glue a barrel into a blank I either us Gorilla Glue or a medium CA and for the most part these have worked well for me. Now I am faced with the task of securing brass to brass and I'm a bit perplexed.

The way I see it I have two real viable options....epoxy or GG. I'm not 100% sold on the Gorilla Glue for this even though I have used it in the past for this exact purpose. I did have one failure but that was more or less my fault.

I have never used epoxy for a metal on metal bond and I guess I'm interested in hearing from other that have used it more than I. I have asked this question to Loctite and their response was to use their Marine Epoxy. The only issue I can see with that is, based on the description, it seems to be more on the brittle side. I'm not sure how it will deal with any sort of sheering force.

Before it's mentioned I will say that I am not interested in soldering this at all. Essentially I am bonding an outer barrel to an inner barrel with the outer being the "show" section of the pen. I have welded/braised/sweated more pipe and tube than I really care to recall and for one I don't trust soft solder to hold up.

I am leaning more towards using an epoxy (unless there are other ideas) but is here any certain type that would be better suited than another?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Epoxy but not the 5 minute kind.

If you are making the brass part to go over the tube have you considered making the brass part to the inside diameter of the tube and eliminate it completely. You could make it slightly loose and Loctite the kit parts in your brass. I have made the assumption that you have a metal lathe. If not "Never mind".

CREID

Since you are doing metal to metal, you don't have to worry about the color of the glue, so I would use JB Weld.

jttheclockman

I agree JB weld metal epoxy. Once the tube is in there is no stress on it again. It is not wood where that would have a tendency to shift some. Should be interesting. Are you doing anything to prevent tarnishing of the brass???

RedBeard

Interesting. Are you referring yo the standard JB Weld?
J-B Weld Twin Tube | J-B Weld

I had only briefly considered it due to a less than favorable experience but that was with the "putty" type a few years ago.

John it has been decided that for this application tarnishing isn't going to be a detriment.

CREID

Interesting. Are you referring yo the standard JB Weld?
J-B Weld Twin Tube | J-B Weld

I had only briefly considered it due to a less than favorable experience but that was with the "putty" type a few years ago.

John it has been decided that for this application tarnishing isn't going to be a detriment.

I would just use the standard JB Weld or JB Kwik. I have not personally used the putty type for anything, actually, never even heard of it. Regular JB or JB Kwik is just 2 part epoxy specifically designed for metal applications.

jttheclockman

yes that is the stuff. JB Weld black and red tubes. 2 part epoxy. Stronger than steel. I made this blank with it and it is strong. I have dropped this blank but not have spun it yet. It is on my to do list. Thinking of adding some other components to it.

Last edited:

RedBeard

I thank you kindly fellas. Your information has sold me on the JB Weld.

John that is a very interesting piece. I'd like to see it when you get around to turning it.

Cur the putty version was , in my honest opinion, a complete waste of time. I had a hot well in a commercial kitchen that had a crack in it and I had hoped to patch long enough to get a replacement....short story short it didn't work.

jttheclockman

You and me both Mark. There have been a few others here that want to see it done also. I am going to clone myself soon. :biggrin:

Top Bottom