Brand new and overwhelmed - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativewooder View Post
When you started your education, nearly the first thing you learned was to read. Just because you're a little older doesn't mean anything has changed.

See the BLUE blocks at the top of the Home page. The one in the middle is the Library and just like all other libraries it contains tons of information. And read the operating instructions for your lathe and all other pieces of machinery, maybe twice or three times. It can't hurt!
I assure you that I did try to do my due diligence of reading and researching on my own. I've spent countless hours reading this forum and its library, watching youtube videos, talking with the folks at the local Woodcraft (they've seen me a few times in the last couple of days), and reading my lathe manual--twice, but in spite of all that I think I was initially feeling overwhelmed by what felt like an insurmountable expense I needed to spend on things to buy before I could even really begin (saw, drill or drill chucks, grinder or other sharpening device, etc.). Anyway, I'm learning a lot, grateful for all the help and advice, and certain to become a tool-junkie pen-turner in time.
sabriel7 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

I went surfing through here and then decided to turn around and come back. Somewhere near the top of your list should be some sort of dust collection and respiratory protection. It's as important as eye protection (and in my garage, hearing protection.) It needn't be expensive and there are a number pf approaches, but it's pretty important!

Best,
Jerry
GDGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDGeorge View Post
I went surfing through here and then decided to turn around and come back. Somewhere near the top of your list should be some sort of dust collection and respiratory protection. It's as important as eye protection (and in my garage, hearing protection.) It needn't be expensive and there are a number pf approaches, but it's pretty important!

Best,
Jerry
Ahh, good to know! That was not near the top of the list, but it will be now. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 6

As far as your center goes, if you are using the live center that came with the lathe, it is made for wood turning. It is 'sharper' than 60 degrees. You can file the point off a bit and that will let it sit in the end of the madrel better. Did that for a while before I got a 'regular' live center with a 60 degree tip.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..........
Paul in OKC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in OKC View Post
As far as your center goes, if you are using the live center that came with the lathe, it is made for wood turning. It is 'sharper' than 60 degrees. .
Not necessarily.

Lindsey described the setup as a 'Turncrafter lathe and PSI pen turning starter kit'. The description didn't specify the Turncrafter model.

If the lathe is one of the Commander models, the live center that comes with it is a standard 60 deg cone. I have the 12" Turncrafter and just measured the live-center angle.

PSI also has a low-end lathe intended only for pen turning that comes with a mandrel saver rather than a live center. However, it isn't marketed as 'Turncrafter', so I am inclined to believe that Lindsey has either the 10" or 12" lathe and not the miniature toy.
http://monophoto.blogspot.com
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #26 (permalink)

I have the 10" and it seems to be working well now that I've adjusted the headstock a bit.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4066 View Post
I spent the first few weeks with my lathe turning random pieces of scrap wood that I had so I could learn and get used to the tools. It was a cheap way to play with my new toy without spending a bunch more money.

rip down a 2x4 or pickup the 3/4" - 1 1/2" square pieces from home depot/lowes for a couple bucks.
Agree with using a bit of inexpensive wood. There's a lot of fun to be had from a 2x4. Sounds like you've already got all the tools you need -- but they do need to be sharp. Check out Woodcraft's $1 box too. It's usually a box full of mixed pieces. You can pick up a few of the hard, fine grained exotics that are a real pleasure to turn for very little investment.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 6

PM sent

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDGeorge View Post

Best,
Jerry
Safety first. Each and every time.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

Sabriel7, I just joined also. This group is full of resources!!!! I think they know everything (I say that seriously) It is an overwhelming amount of info. I was in the same shoes you are in with dull tools. I just put a piece of tape on my head stalk and glued a piece of sandpaper to it, cut out the center so I could leave my mandrel in it. it worked in a pinch.
Mike211 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads