Which brand of CA is best

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

Thanks to my friend, Warren, in NC. I am learning how to apply a CA finish.

Which brand of CA is best? Hot Stuff, Titebond etc. and, does the no fume stuff work as well?

Thanks as always, guys.

Warren, you de man!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I like Monty's (woodenwonderstx.com) EZ Glue. It finishes as well or better than Special T or Hot Stuff at about half the price.

There may be better glues, but at Monty's pricing, I don't need to look.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you only need a bottle or two of 2 oz, Exotics is purchasing Monty's (at retail) and reselling it, so you can add it to your normal purchases and save a couple bucks by not shipping from two places.

But, if you need more than a couple---"Monty direct" is the answer!!!

aggromere

Monty's glue is the best I have ever used, for real. I use his thin for my CA finishes and really haven't had a problem since I switched to it from store bought varieties.

ctubbs

Monty for me. My first order is in the mail. He was out of part on my order and I received an almost instant notice of the fact. Within two days, though, my order was in the mail. Great prices, great cs, rapid turn around. If his product is anywhere near as good as this forum claims, I will be a firm customer. Thanks Monty.
DISCLAIMER: I have no intrest in woodenwonders financially.:):biggrin:

phillywood

Monty for me, and make sure you get the debonder too, since I learned it the hardway.
Oh, I think Monty is going to throw in a small one for everyone for this endoremsnent. I hope!:eek::biggrin:

Rmartin

Walmart sells a 4 pack of thin CA for $1.

I can get 2 or 3 pens out of one tube. That's less than 10 cents per pen. I have found it's really important to have fresh CA. By using the Walmart CA, I get a freshly opened tube each time.

bruce119

Like everyone else says Monty you can't beat it anywhere. Great stuff I use it by the pint. I like the thick for finishing pens, thin for stabilizing and medium for gluing parts to a tube. Keep it in the fridge. to keep it fresh and it will last a long time. You can extra bottles, caps, tippets, accelerator everything you need. I think if you spend $20.00 or something you get free shipping and you can't beat his prices and you will have it in 3 days. He is an active contributing member here at IAP also.

Good Job Monty.

spnemo

Monty for me. My first order is in the mail. He was out of part on my order and I received an almost instant notice of the fact. Within two days, though, my order was in the mail. Great prices, great cs, rapid turn around. If his product is anywhere near as good as this forum claims, I will be a firm customer. Thanks Monty.
DISCLAIMER: I have no intrest in woodenwonders financially.:):biggrin:

This is exactly what I was about to say.

Padre

I have gotten mine from Starbond, but I'm switching to Monty. :biggrin:

bruce119

I guess I might be out on my own here, but I prefer Tiebold CA. I always have bad luck with the Hot stuff brand.

I got to tell you I agree. I used to build giant scale model airplanes and would only use lock tight it was expensive the way I used it. Now that I am into pens and discovered Monty I must say his medium is equivalent to Tieghtbond. The thing that I like about Tightbond was the viscosity not too thin not too thick. But try Monty's medium I think you mite like it. And for the same cost you can probably get 10xs as much.

Just my opinion Monty's not paying me I am just happy with his product and service.

Lenny

I had been buying Gorilla brand CA glue because it was available locally, albeit at 1/2 an once for almost $5. :eek:

Needless to say I switched to Monty as well. For the same price I can now get a 2 ounce bottle and have a choice of viscosities. I have found the thin to be great for penetration when filling voids or stabilizing spalted blanks and also for the first couple coats of a CA finish.
I buy the med. in an 8 ounce size as thats what I use the most. On my next order I plan to get a selection of smaller bottles and caps and also try out his epoxy as that is what I use to glue my tubes in 85% of the time now.

olsenla

Monty for me also. You can't beat his excellent service and his CA is the best I have used for finishing. I also have started using his epoxy and it is good too.

Larry

BigguyZ

Wow, I've always preferred to buy local, because it's a pain and I do like to support local stores (even if it's a chain, they still stimulate the local economy and employ people). So I've used Rockler often. $14 for a 4oz. bottle isn't a bad deal at all. When you combine that with the $15 off of $50 coupon, you can get a bottle of each type and a blank or two for $35 (plus tax). Not bad.

However, with free shipping it definitely seems that Monty has better prices! $15 for 8oz is a great deal.

The idea of a fresh bottle is an interesting one.... Since his small bottles are still cheap, would it be better to buy in 1/2 or 1 oz bottles and just store the extras in the fridge? So, get eight 1oz bottles rather than one 8oz bottle, basically. The price is worse that way, but still better than using other suppliers.

Thanks,
Travis

snyiper

Get the 8 oz and put in smaller containers. I am also a Monty convert I use his thin med and epoxy. A better deal or vendor youll not find!!!

tim self

+1 on buying the 8 oz and just refill your 1 oz bottle. I'm almost out of mine and have had them about a year. Still works as well as when I opened it.

And the epoxy is just as good in terms of quality.

Top Bottom