bradford pear

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Lets see if I can find a picture with pear! ..The wings on this dragon are made of pear. It's beautiful wood. It's not very grainy, and the grain that does exist is nice and tight. Kinda a pinkish brown color. It's quite expensive to buy, so if you can get any, take it. Don't discard the reasonable sized branches that are crotch pieces. That's likely more prize worthy for a pen. ...Wood is a fruit wood, so expect it to be unstable as it dries, lots of warping and twisting action, so cut it extra thick and load lots of weights on your sticker piles.

20071012135049_wardragonthumb.jpg
e

jimmyers

I have about 10 feet of it setting up in my garage right now slowly drying.

We had a storm back in March time frame and one of the places my wife does community association management for had a bunch go down. I asked her to have the tree removal service set me back some. I wish I had more space at the time because he said I could have had it all because it saves him dump fees.

I have to cut it up inot blanks soon so I can see what it looks like turned.

Randy_

I've got some in my garage drying out right now. Came from the tree that was blown down in a neighbor's yard. She is an 80 something widow. Tree was planted by her now deceased son and i know she was very upset when the tree was removed. I plan to surprise her with a pen or two in the near future. I think it will be something she will treasure. It seems to be be very light like pine so it may be soft and porous. I may need to get it stabilized?

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />I've got some in my garage drying out right now. Came from the tree that was blown down in a neighbor's yard. She is an 80 something widow. Tree was planted by her now deceased son and i know she was very upset when the tree was removed. I plan to surprise her with a pen or two in the near future. I think it will be something she will treasure. It seems to be be very light like pine so it may be soft and porous. I may need to get it stabilized?

That doesn't sound like Bradford pear to me. It should be heavy, hard, dense wood, harder than maple. I have quite a bit of it.

Randy_

Tom:

I know for sure it is a Bradford Pear. The weight thing is just a "feeling" from hefting the drying branch. It just seems quite light for its size. Maybe my appraisal of the wood will change after I slice it up??

I wonder if the wood has different characteristics if it is grown here in Texas vs. back in your area? Obviously, the soils, and weather are significantly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom