Boy that was a close one!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mickey

I was drilling a blank on the lathe. I slid the tailstock/chuck/drill bit back to clean the flutes while I left the head-stock running as I usually do. Just as the taper of the chuck cleared the tailstock things went from bad to worse in about one second flat. The chuck began to wobble badly as it attempted to get up to the speed of the headstock. All of a suddent the 35/64 drill bit snapped off at the collet and the whole thing flew past just to the left of my head taking out the florescent light fixture on the ceiling just behind me. This chuck/taper has had a tendcy to come lose from the tailstock for some time. I think it's time for a new one. Other that frayed nerves and the need for a new light fixture no harm done. God does look out for children and fools.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Some arbors are threaded on the ends to accept a drawbolt. I have been meaning to get one myself for this very reason!

Daniel

One more time it shows how you do not see the accidents coming. Glad your lathe does not have better aim, that is a big chunk of metal.

Top Bottom