Box Elder Haze

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MI Hillbilly

I have turned an old box elder burl pen blank and sanded up to 2000G. Put some GF Wood Turners finish on it an initially thought it looked great. But soon noticed one half had a haze as if I did not clean off the sanding dust befor finishing. So I have sanded the finish back off and know it's gone by the color of the dyed wood left on the sanding paper. The haze looks like it is part of the wood. It dissappears when something wet is applied, but reappears when dry. Is that the nature of these stablized burls?

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MI Hillbilly

I would not think much would soak in. It was kind of like turning plastic. I assume the stablizer would not allow much to soak in. Also, one of my last steps was to wipe off dust and hit it lightly with synthetic steel wool. It is a euro pen made from two scrap blanks. The front half look normal. The haze is only on the back half. It appears to be the nature of the blank. Or is there something I may have done wrong?

Thanks,

Scott

What do you use for stabilizing? If you are using Cactus Juice it should completely soak in. So the stabilization is supposed to completely stabilize the blank.

MI Hillbilly

It is a blank I purchased more than 7 years ago from Woodcraft or CSA. I will try to attached a photo.

Attachments

• Hazy pen.jpg
    Hazy pen.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 143
If you hit that with some BLO will the haze go away I bet once the BLO gets on it you won't see that haze again. That is a beautiful blank...

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I have turned an old box elder burl pen blank and sanded up to 2000G. Put some GF Wood Turners finish on it an initially thought it looked great. But soon noticed one half had a haze as if I did not clean off the sanding dust befor finishing. So I have sanded the finish back off and know it's gone by the color of the dyed wood left on the sanding paper. The haze looks like it is part of the wood. It dissappears when something wet is applied, but reappears when dry. Is that the nature of these stablized burls?

Scott

We have a finishing forum you might want to post in next time.

MI Hillbilly

I tried the BLO tonight and it helped a little, but the haze was still there. Sanded more and it got worse. Under a magnification it looks like hundreds of tiny crevices holding dust. The crevices are not swirl marks as they take on random patterns. I still perplexed and wondering if this is the nature of stabilized burls. I have not turned many pens, maybe a dozen and yet to see anything like this. I will try the finishing forum.

Thanks for any input.

Scott

Top Bottom