Box of assorted pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobRad

I just got a box of pen blanks from PSI

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSPEC091.html

They have a sheet with photos of the possible woods, but the blanks are not labelled. I'm stuck cause I really want to know what wood I'm working with and if I give/or sell a pen its better to know what wood it is. My previous woodworking experience is mostly using domestic hardwoods and there are wood in that books I've never touched before.

Some of them I can identify - but most I cant match up to the photos. If I belt sand the edge of some, maybe I'll do better, but even ones where the grain is showing - can match more than one pic.

I don't even know where to start - but the first question is - what woods are heavily coated with thick wax on all sides. - Cocobolo I think is one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wb7whi

Actually, I do sell mystery wood. I am surprised that there is not some sort of key from pen state to say which is which.

BobRad

Three is a sort of key - a page of color photos - but its not precise enough for me to match and/or it represents finished surfaces.

seawolf

Just a thought. Turn the blanks round sand to 4 - 6 hundred then a light coat of BLO. The grain will pop making ID easier.
Mark

Top Bottom