Bowtie Pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

I was looking at this kit online... costs as much as about 3 cigar kits... 2 1/2 maybe?

... anyhoo, it sure looks (basically) like a cigar pen...

Can you clue me in as to the quality or function that makes this a $9 kit?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

If you are trying to justify the cost of this kit, it is more fitting to compare it to a Perfect Fit or a Jr. Gentleman Ball Point. This is not a cigar pen. The only part that interchanges with the cigar is the transmission and perhaps one of the tubes (the upper barrel).

The pricing of anything in a free market is based on cost versus demand. If I can produce more and spread design (engineering) and manufacturing cost across a greater number of identical or similar product, then I can lower the price. At the same time, if there is enough demand to produce an item and reduced competition because that item is somewhat unique, then I can maintain a higher price.

There are, I am sure, better economists on the board who can explain this in more depth, but these are some of the basics.

W.Y.

I was looking at this kit online... costs as much as about 3 cigar kits... 2 1/2 maybe?

... anyhoo, it sure looks (basically) like a cigar pen...

Can you clue me in as to the quality or function that makes this a $9 kit?

Thanks

I only orderd one to try it out and I am glad I didn't order more.
It has a lot of extra parts that I don't think are necessary and apart from the clip it isn't a lot different in outward appearance than a Cigar pen.

If they came down to the same price as Cigar kits I would order more but not until then.

Bowtie1.jpg

johnnycnc

Marc, I'll give you my 2 cents worth.
> tact-OFF<
I bought one of the kits and wouldn't even make it I was so disappointed.
In my opinion, the construction is not even Cigar quality, it has a cheap feel to it,
the styling has some nasty cues around the nib and it just looked lame to me.
No desire to make one, and unless special ordered I never will.
I realize some folks are going to like this kit, but I think it's a flat out ripoff.
I wouldn't even put my name with one of these.
There is superior quality in the same price bracket, and equal quality
for less money. Most kits I have made are of better quality, excepting a few
of the starter slimlines I did in the beginning.
>tact-ON<

Sorry if that was not very nice, but this kit left a bad impression.:hammer:

Marc Phillips

Marc, I'll give you my 2 cents worth.
> tact-OFF<
I bought one of the kits and wouldn't even make it I was so disappointed.
In my opinion, the construction is not even Cigar quality, it has a cheap feel to it,
the styling has some nasty cues around the nib and it just looked lame to me.
No desire to make one, and unless special ordered I never will.
I realize some folks are going to like this kit, but I think it's a flat out ripoff.
I wouldn't even put my name with one of these.
There is superior quality in the same price bracket, and equal quality
for less money. Most kits I have made are of better quality, excepting a few
of the starter slimlines I did in the beginning.
>tact-ON<

Sorry if that was not very nice, but this kit left a bad impression.:hammer:

This is why I was asking about it.. sure glad I did! ...

My first reaction was "ahh.. a different looking cigar pen" which, to be honest, would be a nice thing... so I went online shopping and saw the price... huh??... Went to the Woodcraft site and read the directions... and looked at the exploded view of the parts... and just could not *see* what the deal was... so anyhoo, I asked... hope nobody got their nose out of joint... I was going to order some until I saw the price...

BTW... I need some Cigar bushings... got any in stock?

Marc Phillips

If you are trying to justify the cost of this kit, it is more fitting to compare it to a Perfect Fit or a Jr. Gentleman Ball Point. This is not a cigar pen. The only part that interchanges with the cigar is the transmission and perhaps one of the tubes (the upper barrel).

The pricing of anything in a free market is based on cost versus demand. If I can produce more and spread design (engineering) and manufacturing cost across a greater number of identical or similar product, then I can lower the price. At the same time, if there is enough demand to produce an item and reduced competition because that item is somewhat unique, then I can maintain a higher price.

There are, I am sure, better economists on the board who can explain this in more depth, but these are some of the basics.

Sorry I wasn't clear... I really wasn't looking for an economics lesson... was wondering if the parts were a better quality or the plating or ... some other physical item that somehow justified the cost... not seeing any online did not convince me, since I have never personally seen the kit.

Since this is the first one of these I have seen, and I frequent a couple of forums, I was assuming it was a new kit. Since it appears to be a new kit, I don't see how they justify the price based on "enough demand"

Thanks for the reply..

curlyjoe

My two cents is, I don't think it looks like a cigar kit at all. It has a different centerband a different cap finial a totally different clip,much better then the cigar. I think its a nice change from all the same ol kits out there now. I bought 15 when they first came out and sold all but one.
Joe

Top Bottom