Bowling Balls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

madwood

I am relatively new to penmaking, I have done a dozen or so. I just acquired several bowling balls that I thought I could use for blanks. What is the best method of cutting these bad boyz up into blanks? I've heard of it being done, but never tried it. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

John

M

monkeynutz

Bandsaw... Use it to cut one end off for flat base, then slice ball into strips. Be careful to stabilize ball on cutting table. Don't be in a hurry. Cut or break away the core material and discard. Acrylic strips can then be straightened by putting them in a 190-degree oven for a quarter to half hour (check periodically for softness), and then clamping them to a flat surface to cool. Always have plenty of ventilation when working with plastics, and get out of there into fresh air if you feel the slightest bit light-headed or nauseous. I use a respirator, and recommend you do as well. Some of that stuff is just nasty, and the dust you get from cutting is bad, too.

its_virgil

For the small amount of usable material harvested from a bowling ball I consider it not worth the trouble and danger of cutting one into pieces. Yes, I've done it. No, I would not do it again. There are too many nice acrylic blanks available. Blanks from bowling ball material are even available. But, like me, if ou must try it, then be careful. I wish the tutorial had been out when I ventured into cutting the bowling ball. Oh, by the way, I made two pens from the bowling ball; I named them Alpha and Omega and gave the rest of the stuff away to others. Good luck and safey first. Be safe and careful.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
PS: Maybe the oven info on straightening the acrylic will make the amount of usable material worth the trouble.

Originally posted by madwood

I am relatively new to penmaking, I have done a dozen or so. I just acquired several bowling balls that I thought I could use for blanks. What is the best method of cutting these bad boyz up into blanks? I've heard of it being done, but never tried it. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

John

Top Bottom