From bowling ball to pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRAT

Please tell me, what is the best way to cut up a bowling ball for use in pen making?

I have several bowling balls made from ebonite and others made of something other than ebonite (ploy resin maybe?)

How should I cut up these old bowling balls?

DRAT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

From what I've read, the best way to cut up a bowling ball is to get someone else to do it and then buy the blanks;) The material makes pretty pens, but the cement core in most bowling balls make them a real pain to cut into blanks.

Jim Smith

low_48

It was very commonly done in the early years of penturning when we were trying to get original materials. Now you can just buy the blanks. The library reference is a good one.

panamag8or

Please tell me, what is the best way to cut up a bowling ball for use in pen making?

I have several bowling balls made from ebonite and others made of something other than ebonite (ploy resin maybe?)

DRAT

Didn't you ask this same question a couple of years ago? :question:

its_virgil

Excellent memory. It was actually asked by Drat on 10/01/2011. I'll bet the answers have not changed.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/bowling-balls-pen-blanks-86955/#post1291309
Do a good turn daily!
Don

DRAT

Didn't you ask this same question a couple of years ago? :question:

Last edited:

DRAT

The techniques we use and the experience we gain over time typically improves our processes. Like most, I am always interested in learning about what seems to be working today.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
In this thread of a while back, I posted a pic of some pens with blanks made from bowling balls. I don't recall anyone else having the same issues.
The custom pen in the first pic had nice vibrant blue colours with swirls etc, but some time later the colour faded. This must have been from the light as the section above the nib remained vivid. The pen was in a glass display cabinet with the cap on, hence the nib end staying darker.
I can only assume that as bowling balls are made to be used indoors, that they don't bother to include any UV inhibitor in the resin. The other two pens are also made with BB blanks. But 90% of all the pens I make get made, pic taken then dropped in a drawer, so I don't know if the others would have faded.

One day I'll pick the pale blue rubbish out and use some nice red stuff:biggrin:

Attachments

• bowlingballpen1.jpg
    bowlingballpen1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Bowling1.jpg
    Bowling1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 198

its_virgil

Cutting bowling balls is a lot of messy work for so little thin curved material. Lots of work after cutting to get something that can be made into a pen. I made two pens from the two balls I cut. I named them Alpha and Omega. I guess it is something to try...once.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Paul in OKC

It is a bit of work. After cutting and removing the 'rind' from the center stuff. I wrap in foil and put in toaster oven for 15 min at about 200 degrees. Then between 2 boards in a vise to straighten until cool. One I tried cracked when trying to straighten, so didn't cut any more from that ball.

Top Bottom