Bowling Ball blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

I was wondering, do very many people out there use the bowling ball blanks? I love how they turn, but I can never seem to get a "great" finish on them in the end. I use thick gloves when I'm trying to put a finish on them, because I was told they take tremendous friction to polish up shiny. If it were not for my buffing system, I don't think I would have ever got it to shine. Any suggestions, comments would be very nice.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kevin M

I have turned several BB pens and have not had a problem getting a good finish. I sand with 320 both with the lathe turning and without, EEE, MM, more EEE, and friction polish, but no more that normal pressure or heat build up. I inspect the blanks under a mag. glass to make sure the scratches do not show up since the material is prone to hiding marks. This works for me.

Fangar

Jen,

You might give the HUT plastic polish a shot. I use it on my acrylics, and it really does wonders. I use 240 and 400 standard papers, then use MM from 1500 - 12000. Mineral spirits to clean off any dust, and then hit it with the HUT polish. Takes all of the scratches out. Of Course BB might be totally different, but it might be worth a shot. Of course if you would like to send me some BB blanks, I could certainly try it for you... [:D]

Cheers,

James

jbyrd24

I just recently turned a perfume pen using a red bowling ball blank.
I sanded through 600 and finished it with the Hut Plastic Polish.
It doesn't require using much pressure like this, very easy to
finish.
[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom