Bowl vs Pen scraper presentation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ump416542

Since I have heeded our turners club (northwest Michigan wood turners) presidents' (Lyle Jamieson) advice on presenting a scraper, I have not had a catch. His rule is: never let the angle between the work and the tool be over 90deg. Preferably less than. So I present above center on the sides of bowls. Following this rule has done wonders for my bowl turning. However, I was wondering if this applies also to using a scraper for pen (spindle) turning. I have been using gouges on pens so far.

rholiday

For scraping cuts on pens I use an Easy Wood Finisher with the round carbide cutter. I have not used a traditional scraper on pens. The carbide cutter is presented at the center line.

From the Easy Wood website...
"Like the other Easy tools, the Easy Finishers are designed to be used with the tool rest set so that when the tool is held level the top of the cutter is on center. Then just keep it level to the floor and flat on the tool rest for all types of cuts... "

You can also check out on youtube "Woodturning a Bowl with a Scraper" by WyomingWoodTurner. Around the 5 minute mark is a diagram of tool position for the inside and outside of the bowl. The tool position is different depending on whether he is scraping the inside or the outside of the bowl. He has other videos where he will use a skew or a bowl gouge to do scraping cuts.

In general, I'd say scraping is scraping. The tool presentation would be the key. On a pen I'd tend to be at or below center line, if I were using a traditional scraper.

Bob

Top Bottom