BOW Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pgfitzgerald

I was hoping ya'll could help a newbie out with a quick BOW question. :)

I've turned a few BOW pens made from blanks I bought locally. I just received some of Nolan's BOW blanks and they seem to be either not as dry or more oily than the blanks I bought locally. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Nolan's blanks are far prettier than any others I've picked up.

I first noticed a difference when I was drilling the blanks. The shavings seemed to be a bit stickier than the locally procured blanks. Now that I've started turning them, the shavings are coming off in long curls, which didn't happen on the locally procured blanks.

So... is this a problem? Do I need to be worried they'll crack? By the way, I've been using Les Elm's Polyurethane finish procedure on my other pens and had planned on doing the same on these BOW pens.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Druid

Nolan sells great products, what you are experiencing with Nolan's BOW is a good thing! That's how good fresh BOW should behave, did you notice the difference with the aroma? Not to put down your local source but they might have sold you what I refer to as old COW (California Olive Wood).

pgfitzgerald

Nolan sells great products, what you are experiencing with Nolan's BOW is a good thing! That's how good fresh BOW should behave, did you notice the difference with the aroma? Not to put down your local source but they might have sold you what I refer to as old COW (California Olive Wood).

I did not notice a difference in aroma. They smell the same to me.

Paul

mrcook4570

A lot of BOW (from several different suppliers) that I have turned is still somewhat green. The shavings coming off the blank even feel cool. When I notice this, I will turn to approximately 1/16" oversize and then let set the blank on a shelf for six months or so.

Typically, however, I just assume that any BOW I have is not dry, so I will drill a hole slightly smaller than required, nuke it until dry, then drill with the correct size.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have some COW and BOW. COW is dryer and does not have the "fragrance" that BOW has. My BIL has olive trees on his farm in the Sacramento Valley, so I get mine fresh from him. But still they seem dryer.

bitshird

I've bought blanks from Israel, some were pretty oily one or two have been kind of dry, the domestic Olive I've turned is all been dry, so I think the real BOW especially the wood with the most pronounced grain tends to be a little oily, the first one's I turned I had to clean my drill bit off each set of blanks with alcohol, but Man they smell so good, makes ya wanna go to the nearest deli. by the way, who sells olive wood near Memphis??

pgfitzgerald

Well... I'm still a bit confused. :frown:

JFeagans said:
That's how good fresh BOW should behave...

mrcook4570 said:
... I will turn to approximately 1/16" oversize and then let set the blank on a shelf for six months or so.

mrcook4570 said:
... I just assume that any BOW I have is not dry, so I will ... nuke it until dry...

bitshird said:
... the first one's I turned I had to clean my drill bit off each set of blanks with alcohol...

Is it okay to go ahead and turn, finish, and deliver? Or do I need to do something differently to keep the blanks from splitting down the line due to being "somewhat green"? (to quote mrcook4570)

Thanks,

Paul

Nolan

Paul,
I am sorry if you first posed this question to me in an email. If you did I am sorry for not responding but I didn't get any emails from you on this issue. So I will do my best to respond here. I spot check the MC of each batch of BOW blanks that I get in so I don't think that thats an issue. From what you have explained it sounds like some nice fresh BOW. If you think that it may be too wet, just pop it in the micro for a few seconds. From my experience good fresh BOW acts exactly like you described when drilling. It is a fairly oily wood and I personally think that that is why it behaves the way that is does. I personally haven't had any cracking or finishing issues with BOW. I haven't ever used Les Elm's so I cant speak to that. In the end all that is important to me is that you are pleased with your purchase. So if you feel the blanks are not to your standard for whatever reason please allow me to replace them or issue you a refund. All I ask is that if I do replace/refund them that you return the old blanks in the self addressed, prepaid envelope that I can send you. If you use the originals let me know how it goes.

pgfitzgerald

Nolan,

Thanks so much for the reply.

I didn't send you an email directly because I didn't want to bother you with a question I felt was due to my ignorance. :biggrin: I've only got a couple dozen pens under my belt.

These blanks are absolutely excellent and I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. I will most certainly be ordering from you again.

I would try popping them in the microwave, but I've already glued the tubes in a few. I'm not sure my wife would appreciate me putting metal in the microwave. :tongue: Maybe I'll give it a shot on one of the next ones.

But it sounds like I can go ahead and turn the ones I have prepped. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Paul

Nolan

Yeah you can proceed in my opinion, but if you are still concerned put them in your toaster / toaster oven to heat the blanks up some and that will help dry them out if they are truly wet. Don't go crazy as you don't want to get them too hot. No need to cause extreme temperature changes in the wood. BTW your not bothering me by asking questions.
Nolan

Nolan,

Thanks so much for the reply.

I didn't send you an email directly because I didn't want to bother you with a question I felt was due to my ignorance. :biggrin: I've only got a couple dozen pens under my belt.

These blanks are absolutely excellent and I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. I will most certainly be ordering from you again.

I would try popping them in the microwave, but I've already glued the tubes in a few. I'm not sure my wife would appreciate me putting metal in the microwave. :tongue: Maybe I'll give it a shot on one of the next ones.

But it sounds like I can go ahead and turn the ones I have prepped. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Paul

pgfitzgerald

Yeah you can proceed in my opinion, but if you are still concerned put them in your toaster / toaster oven to heat the blanks up some and that will help dry them out if they are truly wet. Don't go crazy as you don't want to get them too hot. No need to cause extreme temperature changes in the wood. BTW your not bothering me by asking questions.
Nolan

I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks Nolan!!

Paul

evanslmtd

Paul
I purchased some BOW from Nolan just before Christmas, that turned exactly the way you described (loved the smell). I assembled the Pens and gave them away as presents. I see the people I gave them to quite often and there hasn't been any issues with the Pens.
Barry

Top Bottom