Bound to happen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oxx44

I was just starting to finish up on my second pen today, when I had my first blow out.

I guess it was bound to happen. I have been told that once you have a blow out your annitation is complete. :wink:
When I glued the pen tube in the blank I notice a small gap. I was thinking of adding some ca glue there for strength but decided to try it anyway.
Guess it was the wrong decision today. Future situations, I will take the extra 10 min and add support to it for turning. Make a mistake once, and dont do it again.

I was working on a tuxedo pen but I guess that will be for another day. Instead of being upset I just packed it in for the night and started taking pics. No big deal, out 2 bucks and 30 mins.

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwisher

First blow out for me was on a celtic knot. The entire knot just blew up and flew across the garage. Just scrape the rest off the tube and start over.

Spats139

This is a design opportunity in disguise... turn off a section of the damaged end down to the tube and then glue on another piece of acrylic and finish as normal. I believe the technical term is an "oops band." Maybe a piece of black for your tuxedo look, or a nice red for a cumberbund look.

oxx44

This is a design opportunity in disguise... turn off a section of the damaged end down to the tube and then glue on another piece of acrylic and finish as normal. I believe the technical term is an "oops band." Maybe a piece of black for your tuxedo look, or a nice red for a cumberbund look.

ummm, now you got me thinkin. I just may do that. thanks

sbwertz

And you can always turn it into a soft grip/comfort pen like I did last night with a cross-grain cherry blowout!

JasonM

Love the term "oops band". lol.

Nothing quite like the sound of a blowout. Ties my stomach in a knot every time. Then you quickly have the follow up sound of the blown-out piece bouncing off some part of the workshop behind you to only be found months later. That second sound often makes me laugh and takes some of the sting out of the first sound.

And to Spats139's point, necessity and invention oftern turn it into a positive!

Welcome to the blowout club!

biednick

First blow out for me was on a celtic knot. The entire knot just blew up and flew across the garage. Just scrape the rest off the tube and start over.

NOT necessary. Spay ca kicker in the void and pack in shavings. Flood with thin ca. cover with small piece of non cotton cloth. spray kicker. let dry. turn away cloth. I have that happen frequently on corncobs, slight color difference. but you can keep all the work, tube, and blank for 3min. plus cure time.

azamiryou

Nothing quite like the sound of a blowout. ... Then you quickly have the follow up sound of the blown-out piece bouncing off some part of the workshop behind you to only be found months later.

And the third sound, made by the woodturner, which is not printable.:biggrin:

I love the term "oops band" as well. I've done a lot of them, but never knew there was a special term for it! Now I know. Interestingly, at least 50% of the time, the oops band improves the pen.

sbwertz

Nothing quite like the

I love the term "oops band" as well. I've done a lot of them, but never knew there was a special term for it! Now I know. Interestingly, at least 50% of the time, the oops band improves the pen.

I have a friend who is just learning to turn pens. She was turning a nice piece of purpleheart last night and accidentally turned one end of the top too deep. I took a narrow parting tool and made a clean square cut out of it and filled it with black embossing powder and CA. It made a 1/4 inch black oops band just below the cap that was very pretty.

Sharon

Top Bottom