Bought a chuck!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

After selling my resin saver molds I purchased the 4 jaw chuck from Grizzly that is a copy of the Vicmarc 100. It's 24 position indexable sealed back design that I've heard good things about on other wood turning forums. The best part about it is that it only cost me $21 and change out of pocket after selling the molds.

Of course the wifey would see it differently since those molds didn't just appear out thin air! But $21 works for me. Now I can turn my duck calls, turkey pots, and bowls and vases like I've been wanting to! I hope Grizzly ships fast!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Justin, Now that is some creative financing. I have been looking at a really nice 79 Lincoln continental that I want to buy as a toy. Have not been able to figure out how to mention it to my wife. Now if I jsut work up a list of costs that I save like bus fare, taxi fare, etc I am sure I can actually show that we are being paid to buy it.

On the serious side. You will not be sorry for getting the chuck. I use mine for more stuff than I could ever have imagined.

Daniel

Chucks in general, I don't own the Grizzly, but still the basic options that chucks offer in holding various things is great.

jleiwig

It's the only way I've figured to get things past her. Otherwise it's a cold few weeks in the house, or an expensive purse shopping trip for her. :biggrin:

Justin, Now that is some creative financing. I have been looking at a really nice 79 Lincoln continental that I want to buy as a toy. Have not been able to figure out how to mention it to my wife. Now if I jsut work up a list of costs that I save like bus fare, taxi fare, etc I am sure I can actually show that we are being paid to buy it.

On the serious side. You will not be sorry for getting the chuck. I use mine for more stuff than I could ever have imagined.

DozerMite

Banned
It's probably like the Barracuda2, it's an indexing ring on the back of the chuck. It doesn't move seperate, it is just used with a pin.

Robert Taylor

indexing chuck

as dozer said you make a bracket and mount a pin that will line up with the holes on the chuck. the you can fabricate a mount for your router to make flutes in the work piece. it's a feature that most will not use but it is there just in case you might want to use it. and it does not cost extra.

Attachments

• h6265.jpg
    h6265.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 98

VisExp

It's probably like the Barracuda2, it's an indexing ring on the back of the chuck. It doesn't move seperate, it is just used with a pin.

as dozer said you make a bracket and mount a pin that will line up with the holes on the chuck. the you can fabricate a mount for your router to make flutes in the work piece. it's a feature that most will not use but it is there just in case you might want to use it. and it does not cost extra.

Thanks Dozer and Bob. I thought I had a Barracuda 2, but I guess I must have another Barracuda model. Mine doesn't have that feature.

DozerMite

Banned
Keith,

I just checked and you are correct, the Barracuda2 doesn't have the indexing ring.
Apparently, it is only on the Barracuda2 limited edition T/N model. I figured they were the same. I have the T/N model and haven't used the indexer and don't see a need for it, at least for now.

BigguyZ

OK, I thought the special edition was the only one with the ring. So, how much is the Grizzley version? I wonder which chuck would be more $$? Though I already have a Barracuda 2, so the jaws would be interchangeable...

Dvoigt

I also just got my chuck, haven't taken it out of the box yet. I got the Barracuda 2 T/N (part of the reason I wanted the T/N was because it came with the Indexing ring and I thought that might come in handy one day).

I had to creatively finance mine as well... I scored a $100 deal for a project that requires me to use a chuck... so naturally I needed to buy a $200 chuck......

Top Bottom