Is bottled ink prefered over cartridges?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

Concerning fountain pens: Is bottled ink perfered over cartridges? Is bottled ink better than cartridges? I see that some of the high end inks are sold both ways. Thanks for your input. Les.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Same ink, different container. Regular fountain pen users tend to use bottled ink while at their home location and take cartridges when on the road.

bgray

Even if you don't use converters for filling from a bottle, it's good to have one to clean the pen. This is best done by using the converter to fill and empty the pen repeatedly until you are getting completely clear water from the reservoir.

This is not a real thorough cleansing, but if done somewhat regularly, you don't really need to resort to one.

les-smith

So, no advantage using bottled ink as compared to cartridge ink other than price. I like using the cartridge, but I'm new to fountain pens. Haven't used bottled yet. But, I'd like to know the ins and outs of why to use one over the other in case I'm asked.

PenWorks

It is harder to get ink on your hands using cartridges [:D]
No fun playing with your FP, if you can't get ink all over you [:)]

Firefyter-emt

Ummmm, there is a HUGE diffrence in the two. Flow, saturation, colors galore, security and the list goes on. You can get some of the better ink brands in the cartridges, but the "cheap refills" we have are just a bland selection of black or standard blue. From what I see over at the Fountain Pen Network, most FP users use all botttled ink unelss, as said, taking flights. If you want to "try some out" go to www.peartreepens.com and order yourself the sample pack. You can select up to 4 of many colors and brands to try out. They are just $2.95 SHIPPED for the 4 glass bottles filled with enough of each color to at least ink one refill. Keep the bottle and you can give a "sample ink" when you sell a FP to a customer. [:D]
I have a bottle of Pelikan black & blue just for this.

bjackman

Lots of good answers already.
1. you can get a vastly greater variety of bottled ink than cartridges.
2. bottled ink is usually more economical.
3. no one has EVER commented (to my face [:I] ) about my regularly ink stained fingers. (most ink staining is gone within 24 hours allowing for staining with differnt ink colors without worry of how those colors might look when mixed with previous ink stain colors [:eek:)] )

It's pretty easy to refill cartridges. Get a $.25 syringe at your local pharmacy. You might want to blunt the syringe on your grinder so you don't poke yourself too easily and refill away.
To me, the ultimate ink mixing/testing/experimenting container is a standard 1 ml international cartridge! If you make a really ugly color at least you haven't wasted much ink to do it and as long as you keep track of the quantities/proportions used in the mix it's easy to reproduce in quantity if you want to.
So have fun, and don't be afraid to get some ink on your fingers!!

jeffj13

Private Reserve has started to put some of their bottled inks into cartridges. You can find them here:

www.peartreepens.com

They also sell a syringe that allows you to fill cartridges from bottled ink.

This is is also a great site if you want to try different inks in that they offer a sampler pack for $3.

jeff

airrat

Let me get something right. You all are refilling the cartridges we get with the pen or are these special ones? I know of the pumps.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I don't. I generally supply a new cartridge of Private Reserve ink and let them know that they can order more on my site. I keep the kit ones for giveaways at work. (They aren't great, but they're free.)

jeffj13

Originally posted by airrat
<br />Let me get something right. You all are refilling the cartridges we get with the pen or are these special ones? I know of the pumps.

First, let me say that I haven't refilled any cartridges yet. I just saw the syringe on PearTree Pen's website.

You could refill the one that came with the kit. I would be more inclined to refill the Waterman or Private Reserve cartridges I have because they are larger than the ones that come with the kit.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom