Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

New to this forum. Where do most of you get your bottle stopper and pen kits. I've been sold on going stainless steel on the stoppers. The pens is another subject. 10K gold? 24KT gold? Etc Etc. What do I want to stay away from?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Unless it is Gold Titanium, most of the rest of the gold platings are crap. In fact Rhodium and Titanium versions are the way to go. The only "cheaper" plating that seems to hold up to much more than looking at it wrong would be the chrome. This of course is my OPINION, trust me there will be others I'm sure.

Landon

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Kit finishes

New to this forum. Where do most of you get your bottle stopper and pen kits. I've been sold on going stainless steel on the stoppers. The pens is another subject. 10K gold? 24KT gold? Etc Etc. What do I want to stay away from?

Like all things it depends on what you want from your pens. If you are looking at making heirlooms that sell for big bucks you'll want to go with the titanium plating or with gold plating that has been coated with epoxy ... these will last longer. If you want to make daily use pens that sell for a few dollars the lower cost kits are fine. Most people don't use their pens so much that they will wear off the plating for years.

Everyone is giving you good info on the pen kits... no one address the bottle stoppers... for the stainless there are 3 sources that I know of..

Ruth Niles - http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html
CSUSA(Wood turners catalog) - http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...eel_Bottle_Stopper___stainless_stoppers?Args=

and
Arizona Silhouete - http://www.arizonasilhouetteinc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1967

KenV

I live in an area where most have great struggles fitting a wine stopper into the box. Most effective is to use the smaller stoppers like those Ruth Niles sells, or the Arizona Sil small version for small vinegar bottles, Lee Valley sells some stainless and cork units that work very well for small vinegar bottles.

John Jordan is credited with the statement - life is too short to turn crappy wood.

My time is too limited to turn crappy pens -- so I get the better durability platings. Chrome is my utility finish because it is generally durable. Black Ti slimlines are a reasonable price and so are cigar shapes -- and you have a good product when you finish. (Some things are just not available in something other than powder coated gold - so that is what you use -- clear powder costings are tough, but....).

Ruth Niles has some great bottle stoppers!

I haven't tried Ruth's but have looked at them - they definitely look to be first quality.....
the last SS stoppers I got were from Woodturners catalog..much like Ruth's but a little less expensive.. and I was already doing an order from them so didn't have to pay an extra for shipping to order from Ruth.

I like the low profile of both much better than the longer chrome one.. always felt the bottle was top heavy with the longer stoppers.

Most of my stoppers are the silicone inserts on the maple dowels... they're fairly inexpensive and i can keep my prices down for the stoppers... I get my silicone stoppers from Packardwoods.

stolicky

Ruth Niles stoppers are nice if you want to go stainless. Otherwise, the silicone from CSUSA are pretty good. It depends on what you are after and associated cost.

I agree on the platings. I will not make a gold-plated pen unless it is specifically requested, and then the customer is warned. I just don't trust the gold platings.

rlofton

Chuck is right on with the suppliers for the bottle stoppers. As you said, nothing but SS for these.

As for pens, I would avoid chrome and anything gold plated except for accents. The Jr. Gent II's have a little gold added to good effect but I wouldn't go with anything with much more gold than that. I am looking for the best reference I have found for pen plating descriptions and durability and will forward the link to you when I find it.

Hosspen

I also have been very pleased with the Ruth Niles stoppers. Very practical & she has a few different styles dependinding o how you like to attach them to the wood. I personally use the threaded stud ones but that's just me. Good luck with your turning and happy new year!

tool-man

I also have been very pleased with the Ruth Niles stoppers. Very practical & she has a few different styles dependinding o how you like to attach them to the wood.

I have used the Niles stoppers and they are very nice.

I also want to try the new PSI mini stainless stoppers. Wood-N-Whimsies ( http://27nj.sl.pt ) carries them at a very good price.

Attachments

• stopper.jpg
    stopper.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 92
Top Bottom